SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
highlandernorth

Why has the quality of my Macallister's Pride flowers plummeted?

highlandernorth
8 years ago

This was one of the first 7 varieties of dahlias I bought from Swan Island in 2011. The area where I grew them in southeastern Pa was only moderately sunny then, but MacAllisters Pride tubers came up from 6" under ground in 12 days and began blooming in 72 days. I topped them at the 3rd leaf level, and the plant grew 6 full sized laterals after topping. I did almost no disbudding, so with 6 laterals there were a lot of flowers. Nonetheless, they averaged between 4 to 4.5 inches in diameter, and were advertised to produce 5" flowers at maximum with disbudding, so size was good even though it was very prolific.

The colors of that variety were great and most flowers looked fantastic. So I overwintered tubers and I've grown them each year since then. However, even though they are in a new spot with much better sunlight, the flowers now look bad. They are much smaller than before. They've been in the ground nearly 4 months now but have only produced 2 flowers so far. Now there are more buds showing, but like last year, they are small. The plant is also thin. It's kinda yellow-green in color, even though I just gave it some 2-7-4 organic fertilizer 2.5 weeks ago and a month earlier. We've had a mix of wet, then dry weather, but last year's plant looked like this too. Soon it'll start blooming more, but I predict most will be small and the colors will not be nearly as bright as the first year I grew them in 2011.

I am am also growing Citron De Cap that I ordered that same year, and I've overwintered those tubers together with MacAllisters pride, but Citrin De Cap looks fine even though it's only 10 feet away from that plant.

I dont get it....

Comment

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting