SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21934719

Who turned off the rain?!

8 years ago

Will not rain this summer and I am getting concerned. I see at least of week coming of clear, hot weather (over 90f) into September. The ground is already dry and drought conditions seem to be worsening (at least in the short run). I never water the lawn but do not want to have to replace shrubs or longer established plantings Magnolias, Eastern Hemlocks, Taxodium and DR. What is a good rule of thumb regarding watering practices during semi-/drought conditions. Approximately how long do sprinklers need to be on and for how many times per week. Been yet another strange year here. I usually have to worry about too much water. PS., This is coastal NJ/Zone 7.

Comments (44)

• 8 years ago

how established are these plants????

anything but new transplants.. should be able to cope ...

best advice ... get a case of beer.. or wine.. and pull out the barbie ... put the hose on trickle.. and place it at the base of every plant THAT NEEDS IT ...

and each time you need a beer ... change plants ... presuming you arent a chugger ..

the only downside to this plan ... is that you will probably be crawling out to the 20th plant on your hands and knees.. so start out far.. and work your way back ...

sooo .... how established are the plants ... and normally ... LAWN sprinklers do not water deeply enough ... to overcome drought at depth .. and thats your real issue ...

ken

• 8 years ago

Hemlocks were here at least 20 years, Magnolias, 7 years, assorted shrubs 1-7 years, BC and DR about 4-5 years.

• Related Discussions

rain bird sprinklers not turning off

Q

Comments (1)
    Sounds like you have some extra start times. You should only have one start time in the 1st spot, not one for each station. What is the model of your sprinkler controller?
    ...See More

Physical Switch to turn off touchpad, who knew?

Q

Comments (13)
    Jerry I bought an Acer convertible laptop/tablet and the finger control does not work well at all, it did a first but not now. I am off to buy a mouse today. I couldn't even find a way to turn it off without goggling. LOL I installed the classic shell so I could set it up and customize it . After I do that I am going to use the W 8 start screen and learn it. It is is quite a change working without a right click and I keep reaching for a mouse. I did Google a bit and found a way to right click, takes two hands. I haven't found a way to toggle between the shell and w 8 start page yet. Will work on that after I get a mouse.
    ...See More

Who is going to turn your computer off tomorrow????

Q

Comments (27)
    I wasn't going to do anything because I'm supposed to get auto updates. Ususally when I get the Updates are ready message, I check and they are already installed. Well, I just checked and I have one update necessary. I'm doing it now, hoping that nothing is wrong. It's working, but boy is it slow. I do have virus protection. More scary though - I got a message the other day that a virus was innoculated. Here's hoping nothing is wrong. I can't stand these bored techno-geeks!! With all that we could use their talents for, they choose to do this. I'm sure they could get satisfaction and more money working their talents honestly.
    ...See More

Brazilian Rain tree leafs turning yellow

Q

Comments (3)
    Try more fertilizer. The plant is probably robbing mobile nutrients from old foliage to fuel growth of new leaves. I'd alternate between 1/4 & 1/2 every other watering. Keep in mind that it's not as important to thoroughly flush the soil at every watering when using fertilizers with ratios that closely mimic actual usage ratios because the ratio in the soil solution doesn't become badly skewed in a short time like it would if you were using a ratio much different than the one at which the plant actually takes up the nutrients. For example - if you're using 20-20-20 or 10-30-10, the nutrient ratio in the soil solution VERY quickly becomes badly skewed if you're not flushing the soil because the ratio supplied is MUCH different than the ratio used. OTOH, if you're using 24-8-16, 12-4-8, 9-3-6 ....., it takes much longer for the ratio to become unbalanced, so you don't really need to flush the soil as faithfully as you would when using the 20-20-20 or 10-30-10 ...... or any other fertilizer where the ratio doesn't mimic actual usage. Al
    ...See More
  • 8 years ago

In excessively dry conditions, any plant - including those well established in the landscape - can require supplemental watering. It may not be immediately obvious - drought stress does not necessarily show up immediately - but it is something you want to avoid as it can contribute to a variety of insect and disease issues down the road, if not die back and stunting of growth.

A general rule of thumb for watering trees during drought periods is to supply 10G of water for every inch of trunk diameter. Watering does not need to be frequent - once every couple of weeks is usually sufficient - but it needs to be slow, thorough and penetrate deeply, at least down to 12". Newly planted trees and shrubs may need more frequent watering.

As ken notes, automated sprinkler systems are hugely inefficient in this situation. The hose left in place at a slow trickle at the drip line is a much better idea as is a soaker hose or drip system. And mulching well will help to slow soil moisture evaporation, so make good use of mulch.

• 8 years ago

Your more mature trees and shrubs don't need to be watered in times of drought. It seems we always have one or two droughts a summer here in SE PA. This is our second one this season and it is getting old quick. Now for the less established plants, water as suggested by the previous posters. I use a soaker hose for some of our new shrubs and I just leave it on over night. It seems to get things nice and moist. Unfortunately, for my two perennial beds, I have to use the sprinklers as there's not really another easy way to do it. Perennials have shallower root systems so it's not as big a deal. I leave that on for 2-3 hours when watering.

• 8 years ago

Yeah...it's been incredibly dry here in south central PA....it rains like once a month...and it's always a hard, tenacious 2" rain that comes and goes. It all runs off anyway. My grass is so dead. I haven't mowed it in like a month, lmao. And when I do, I can't even tell what I mowed and what I didn't. It's terrible.

• 8 years ago

Where you at in south central pa? I'm in the Lancaster area and it seems like every time it rains, we are getting missed or get significantly less than areas closeby.

• 8 years ago

Hummelstown area...Yeah...it is getting old for sure...there isn't much relief in site neither..

• 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Everyone gets married in the spring or summer, and they all pray it won't rain. They don't think of the consequences for farmers.

• 8 years ago

I love the people (non-gardeners) here in MD saying "but it's rained so much this summer". Yeah, in June it did. July was OK, but August has been dry. A few areas 10 miles from me have been hit by every storm, and therefore have gotten 4-5" this month, but for me, maybe 1.5" total all month.

I'd water the Metasequoias first, those seem most sensitive to dryness. The Taxodium is probably the least sensitive of that list.

• 8 years ago

Yeah it's funny when you look at the NWS MARFC departure from normal maps and I see that Lancaster county actually shows near average for the last 30 days. In reality this is only because certain parts of Lancaster county have gotten great rain while other parts got little. We've gotten 2.69" since July 16th with practically no rain forecast for the next 10 days. It's just enough to keep the grass green but certainly not enough to keep the perennial beds happy. I have a metasequoia in the front perennial bed and it has been sucking the bed dry. It's about 28' with a 12" caliper so it's big enough to steal all the water from my perennials.

• 8 years ago

2.69 inches is a LOT of rain for some areas!! We haven't had that much in total for all of May, June, July and thus far in August. 1.5 inches in August would be considered a pretty wet month in this area :-) We are always dry in summer but we are well below average rainfall for the entire year to date. A weak system is supposed to push in tonight to relieve record high temperatures and provide some precipitation but no significant amounts are predicted. Let's hear it from the damp, drizzly Pacific Northwest - NOT!!

• 8 years ago

Yeah but the thing is....we've probably got like 4 inches total the last 2 months. But guess what...it's from like two pop up storms that dump 2 quick inches of water in 45 minutes. It all runs off anyways..

• 8 years ago

The drought monitor is excellent, especially when it is enlarged to show specific parts of an area. It confirmed my experience that my area (eastern ma; Boston environs) has been exceptionally dry. (ref. my q. about hose drip irrigation)

Thanks so much

• 8 years ago

Wow. Just checked out that drought monitor. That thing is a joke, lol

• 8 years ago

jalcon, you could say more......

• 8 years ago

I suspect all those "spotty/irregular showers" confuse the results. One town can have rain dumped on it while the one next door gets nothing. Oddly, my parents had a drought in early Spring, but have had a very wet August. All those spotty showers seemed to hit them. They are irritated but it has been good for my planting projects...

• 8 years ago

Summer rainfall in the East, South, and Midwest, is convective by nature. Actually, that's true of the interior West as well. Therefore, by its very nature it is spotty, but that effect is amplified in certain years for various reasons. The grass is much greener at my office than my house 10 miles away for that reason this summer.

• 8 years ago

Marie...it's just that according to that we are having a normal season...most of PA is...well it's been years since I've seen trees and grass so dead as they are around here in the midstate from lack of rain this year.

• 8 years ago

Ok, I see. Here there has been nary a word about d.......Yet we know who's pulling that damned heavy rubber hose around and running out every few hours to move it Some towns on well water have had summer restrictions for years running. Long enough so they have signs- like directions- as you enter the town about water restrictions.

A couple of nurseries have used email to remind customers to water. But not enough. I think nurseries who make use of email could be more proactive about horticultural advice, in addition to shilling the newest, bestest and minimally tested cultivars of old plants. Maybe I'm naive, but if I'd spent thousands on plant material I wouldn't mind information about drought and watering. However, I;m not so naive to think more than a few people would actually follow advice (much less open and read an email from a nursery)

And wouldn't a nursery want to minimize complaints next spring about their plants not leafing out? How is a new gardener to know that rainfall is several inches below average if the local newspaper says nothing, they don't read gardenweb and no body tells them? Just my thoughts on dissemination of information. I hope no one in retail reads this as blaming the industry for a drought or for some gardeners' ignorance or laziness!

• 8 years ago

"P.S., Hairmetal, non-gardeners are CLUELESS about the natural world; sure they think tomatoes grow in the fresh produce aisle."

SO true LOL.

We better hope Erika is able to hold together as it moves up the coast, and that a cold front doesn't push it out to sea before it gets to the mid-Atlantic. That's our next significant chance of rainfall, and with the tropics not look very active this year, might be our only one until we switch to a different, wetter synoptic pattern...which could take a long time. hairmetal, the other thing you notice about our rainfall is the chances for convective moisture start drying up (for most people) in August, and definitely in September. Rain in those months depends increasingly on tropical storms, and the rare instances of early shifts to the winter-type synoptic rainfall patterns. (Which usually doesn't happen until the second half of October or so.) If no tropical storms show up, you might not get any rain. That's why the driest month I've actually had here was a September: Sept. 2007. Really did a number on my plants, killing my prized Daphniphyllum that I'd moved from my NoVA garden. The days were only about 78 F, very comfortable; it was deceptive how dry the ground was getting.

• 8 years ago
    David, 2007 was the year I moved here from Ohio. I seem to remember that drought well. As I recall, we did get some fall and winter synoptic rains (but very little snow from what I remember) of course, but didn't really have a true "drought buster" storm or pattern until April/May 2008.
  • 8 years ago

Erika seems to have fizzled away already. Just spoke to people back from the Caribbean and the word is DROUGHT, so don't know how much we can depend on moisture from the 'deep tropics' in this El nino year (with drought also in Central America and Colombia). Maybe more support from more local seas that are pushing 80 F. already. Yeah, September and October are both dry months here, then precip picks up in November. Irene was the big FLOOD maker for us (year of the basement swimming pool); Sandy was mostly WIND damage. Again, no body says the D word in local media and local meteorologists seem gleeful to report a coming week in the low to mid 90's and nothing but sunshine.

• 8 years ago

" report a coming week in the low to mid 90's and nothing but sunshine."

Right it makes me sick when they post a graphic of nothing but sun symbols and say we have a "perfect" week coming up. If you think that's perfect, move to Arizona! In Baltimore, Tom Tasselmyer is the only one intelligent enough to occasionally acknowledge a need for rain.

Darn, they were saying Erika could fizzle over Cuba but re-form in the Keys and eastern Gulf of Mexico...now the NHC is acting like it's a goner. Time to stop posting to gardenweb and start watering outside!

• 8 years ago

Yeah, David, I agree. Don't get me started....

Wind-shear/dry air is killing tropical systems in the Atlantic/Caribbean this yr. Little chance of tropical moisture for the mid-Atlantic states. Most of the tropical systems are shifted over to the west of Mexico in the eastern Pacific.

• 8 years ago

If there's one saving grace to this thread, it is in seeing how many of us are dealing with dryness. My area is in no official category at all yet to me, most of this growing season has been a bit too dry to way the heck too dry, punctuated by ferocious precip events. Available moisture is the real item, not how much precip has landed in a gauge somewhere. And that's a function of precip intensity, duration and frequency divided by temps, soil conditions and wind.

Agree-those not involved in horticulture in some meaningful way are crazily divorced from the natural world around them. Like somebody said above, a weather doofus (not really sure how to spell doofus!) all happy because somebody's golf game will go off uninterrupted while the landscape continues to bake......utterly clueless.

+oM

• 8 years ago

tom, I really like the term "weather doofus". I'm going to start calling some of the weather forecasters I see on tv by that name.

"Available moisture is the real item, not how much precip has landed in a gauge somewhere."

Also humidity. I've found my plants dry out faster if we have a spell of low humidity. One reason is around here, when it is really humid, it's so humid the haze in the sky cuts the sun intensity down a good bit. So combination of hazy sky + moisture in the air + still air definitely seems to dry stuff out less than clear blue sky + dew points in the 50s + wind. Even if the day of the former conditions is say 5-10F hotter.

• 8 years ago

David, funny about "haze" -- not often seen in western MD any more, even when it's hot & humid. But it used to be the rule in summer for decades. You still see it, being near the Rt 95 megalopolis.

• 8 years ago

Agree about the kinder conditions following a good rain....if humidity doesn't leave town immediately! We're in exactly that situation here this early week, having had soaking rain over Fri. night and Sat. It is remaining humid all this week and the soil is not drying out the way it sometimes does.

Years ago-I watch TV stations (if I watch at all) in the Green Bay market-there was one meteorologist that really got it. I still remember his name-Bob Thomas-and he clearly had a connection to the plants and soils and waters around him. That guy would say things like-this during a period of drought-"we might be able to get something" or words to that effect when a storm system approached. He stuck out because so few of them come close.

Even people who don't know or think they care about "nature" often also feel better after a good rain. You'd think it would soak in (Buh-dum-bum).

+oM

• 8 years ago

Unreal. Forecasted 90's with no rain in site all week here in PA.

• 8 years ago

beng, Interesting point about the reduction in haze. Never thought about it before, but I think you are right. Of course, probably a good thing if linked to a reduction of pollutants. I think I remember a few years ago, they were saying there was going to be an improvement in NJ air quality due to more coal mine shutdowns or reductions in Pa.. Not helping today as I believe most of the state has some kind of hazardous air quality. No rain yet, there is a forecast of a front with showers but lately these have been non-events and it rains in someone else's backyard, somewhere. After the front, seems like more hot, high pressure and bermuda high conditions. I know that much of eastern precipitation is convective (air mass thunderstorms in the hot/humid), but it seems to me that the typical, afternoon thunderstorm has become strangely rare. Getting back to changes in sky conditions over the years. Anyone notice how much longer airline vapor trails linger in the atmosphere. This has encouraged some paranoid-prone individuals to assume that the government is spraying into the atmosphere (just google chemtrails) for some of their 'interesting' chatter. Of course, 'contrails' have become more prominent (more flights...., AND more water vapor in the atmosphere).

P.S., If I read one more post about someone just having planted a tree or a shrub in this bone dry, hot weather and the thing is dying and they don't know why, I think I am going to scream.

• 8 years ago

So...I just transplanted a ten-foot sugar maple in my yard and now it doesn't look so good....................haha....JK, JK

+oM

• 8 years ago

I'd like to bump this and say that where I live, near Harrisburg PA..this has been the dryest summer I've ever remembered in my entire life. I kid you not, EVERYBODY'S lawn in my development is dead at this point, and probably half of them get their lawn professionally serviced. It's gotten ridiculous. I mean a single drop of rain is few and far between. There may be a few areas outside of my town in particular that have had pop up storms, but we have not.

And what do you know, that joke of a drought map still lists everything as "normal conditions" around here...LOL.

• 8 years ago

So, in the span from the weekend to right now-Tuesday roughly noon-ish, we've gotten right around 4 inches of rain in this town, some areas much more. Seems to me, heavy precip events can happen with relative "ease" or frequency, but inbetween, soils get dry....too dry for good plant growth. This BTW fits in perfectly with the models generated by all those ignorant climatologists who suggest a bumpier time is ahead, one with more extremes. Great....

+om

• 8 years ago

Today, September 8th was actually the hottest day of the year at 97 f.. Record number of days above 80 so far..., and still, no rain. Getting browner and crispier. I can't wait till the rainy season begins!

• 8 years ago

I finally hit 90F just a week or two ago for the highest summer temp. Still, that's below the avg high summer temp.

The highest all-time temp in MD was set nearby in Cumberland in July 1936 at an astonishing 109F, for comparison.

• 8 years ago

Here in the Puget Sound area of the PNW, the land of the "cool, mild summers", we have broken records for the number of days this summer it hit 80F or above and the number of days it hit 90F or above. We did have a low pressure front move in late last week that dropped temps down into the low 70's and even the 60's for a day or two and produced some rain (and very high winds) but not much. But we are cranking back up into the 80's again this week with no relief in sight.

And while we have managed to accumulate nearly normal YTD precipitation totals, this area is still considered to be in severe to extreme drought. This is due to an extremely dry winter with no significant mountain snow pack and a very dry period extending from April through midAugust where we received less than half of normal rainfall for that period (including one of the driest July's on record with NO measurable precip!). Then we received two major rainfall events on 8/14 and 8/29 that pushed August into the 3rd wettest on record. But 2 days of rain - even heavy (for us) rain - out of 62 does not exactly break a drought!

This the first time I can remember actually looking forward to a fail chill and the start of the rainy season :-)

• 8 years ago

Here in north Florida we are swamped, literally. Torrential rains every day or every other day. I have many plants rotting and mosquitoes are intolerable. I wish I could give our rain away for a month or so...but on our sand, we are 3 days away from drought at any one time.

• 8 years ago

Yes, and Sal, if I'm not mistaken, is not S. FL, at least the Miami area still bone-dry?

+oM

• 8 years ago

I think Miami Metro had some rain from a tropical storm but they are still in deficit as the summer rains were just not normal this year and the normal drier season is approaching ('winter'). Here in NJ we are getting some rain but the deficit is 7 inches. I hope we see more rain this weekend as predicted because the extended is for more summer heat after the rain. What's odd is that August and September have been much warmer than June and July.

• 8 years ago

In my little area of Wisconsin, this has been the best summer ever...we have had maybe 15 days of hot, humid intolerable weather spread out over 90 days, the longest stretch of no rain was 2-3 weeks at the end of June/beginning of July, and my hostas suffered very little slug/insect damage until this past week. If only every summer could be this way!!! And if only winter will be as nice!

• 8 years ago

If we have a 'normal' El Nino winter, I think Wisconsin should be milder than normal. We are in for a lot of rain and/or snow..., which is fine for me, I hate the big dry.

• 8 years ago

Very few 90 degree days this summer...pleasantly cool summer. Dry but cool Spring. A lot of spotty showers in the summer that dropped rain on one town and ignored the next...just happened to all hit my parents. We had a weird September heat wave, which made me fear for my September plantings. Today my parents got two inches while I got a sprinkling an hour north.

• 8 years ago

I'm with you, sub, in that I tolerate all weather variables quite well: too hot? that's okay for a while. Too cold? Hey, this is Wisconsin! But I really do not like drought or even the hint of drought. and I fear the baby (el nino) is going to deliver us a lot of nothing this winter.

+oM