SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eagibson92

Help! Red currant leaves turning brown

BrooklynBalcony
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I've been so excited about my two red currant bushes, which have been doing great for the first year, but they've taken a sudden turn. Since not many people seem to have currants in their home garden in the U.S. (because of their interesting history), I'm having a lot of trouble tracking down good advice.

I have them in large containers on a balcony in NYC. They get a mix of full sun and shade because they are under an overhang. It's been hot lately, and I've heard currants may drop their leaves in August if the weather is too warm. But I'm also worried that they may have a nutrient deficiency or some sort of disease or fungus that could cause long lasting damage (especially since something similar happened to the leaves of a nearby zucchini plant). I'm seriously worried that it is Anthracnose, but I don't know how to tell for sure and don't want to trash half my garden for no reason. Can anyone tell anything from these pictures? And if it is the weather, would it help to move them from a south facing balcony to a north facing balcony that gets more shade?

Here is bush number two, which gets more shade. Its decline has been slower, but that might just be coincidence.

Here's how lovely they looked earlier in the season,

Comments (3)