SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vikki_fordahl

Japanese stilt grass battle

VikkiNJ
8 years ago

We have an ongoing battle with this weed in our Northern NJ yard. I have hand picked it out of our front lawn every year while we let it go in the back and side yards. While I was away for a month, my husband decided that he was going to use Round Up to kill off a patch of our lawn infested w/ Japanese Stiltgrass. He also did a small patch in the front yard. His plan is to scrape off the dead grass and weed, amend the soil and replant the grass in September. When I returned home and saw what he did, I finally decided to read up on how to properly kill this stubborn weed. I'm seeing a lot of people comment on how you shouldn't disturb the soil because it will reveal more stilt grass seeds and cause them to start germinating. I therefor fear that my husband's plan to scrape off all of the dead plant material will doom any new grass he plants. Can you plant new grass seed on top of the dead grass? Any suggestions? Just a note, because of the continuing infestation, the grass was not growing thickly at all and in fact the part of the "lawn" that he decided to kill was mostly stiltgrass w/ very little lawn.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH