SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mollyjenning

My woods are being taken over by Japanese Stilt Grass

mollyjenning
18 years ago

Very quickly....within the last three years...the whole character of the woods has changed. First, the deer ate most all of the plants---the small spring flowers, the maple leaf viburnum which as recently as five years ago blanked the forest floor, and the part of the mountain laurel that they can reach...which is most of it.

Basically, the understory is gone.

Once these plants were gone, the Japanese Stilt grass moved in (also, garlic mustard) and this grass is displacing even the lovely sensitive ferns which once lined the stream going through the woods...Actually, I can't even see the stream now due to the stilt grass.

Last week, I invited an official with the inland wetlands agency in our town to come and look at the woods. He has obviously seen this before, and seemed as distressed as I am. He suggested spraying the stilt grass with something called rodio (sp?) and then sewing seeds from a wildflower mix.

Do any of you, on the basis of your experiences with your woods, have any additional suggestions?

I live in CT, 6-B. The area of the woods that is of concern has become a very open part of the woods (deer have also killed trees by rubbing against them), is designated wetlands, and I know could be lovely again.

Thank you so much for any suggestions you might have!

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County