SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rnmomof2

Mullions--yes or no?

RNmomof2 zone 5
8 years ago

We have double hung windows that are stained to match all of our woodwork (Miniwax Provincal?) They have the removable mullions. I was cleaning the windows yesterday and left the mullions out. I'm not sure what I think, the windows truly look naked but its a nice change.

Our house is transitional in styling, high ceilings, open floor plan. Looking from outside the widnows look a little bare but we are so used to seeing them. (We have lived here 24 years.) A quick drive through the neighborhood came up roughly 50/50 for the double hung windows. I did notice that several houses that originally had diagonal mullions have removed them.

So what you say GWers, are mullions oh so 1990 or not?

Comments (6)

• User
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Our 1950 cottage has double hung windows with mullions. When we did the addition at the rear of the house we opted to use single pane casement and French casement. I like the look of both. Like CRL, I'd say live without your muntins for a while and see what you think.

• melle_sacto
    8 years ago

I like the mullions when they look authentic, and I really like the diamond ones on original windows! But for looking out the window I prefer "naked" panes LOL.

• oldbat2be
    8 years ago

I had to look up muntin vs. mullion. If they're removable, they're muntins :)

http://blog.sierrapacificwindows.com/design-tips/window-terminology-the-difference-between-muntins-and-mullions/

Our style is transitional as well. I like the muntins on ours.

• Michael
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

A mullion is what divides a combination of windows or doors. A divider, and usually vertical. A mullion divides the picture window from the side lights, whether casement or double hung. A muntin is used to create divisible lights in doors or windows. Even some manufacturers don't know the difference.

Fenestration Terms

Mullion: The vertical or horizontal divisions or joints between single windows in a multiple window unit.

Mullion casing: An interior or exterior casing member to cover the mullion joint between single windows.

Muntin: A short bar used to separate glass in a sash into multiple lights. Also called a windowpane divider or a grille.

Fenestration Terms

• nini804
    8 years ago

I would need to see a picture to give an opinion. To me, usually, if a house was designed with double hung windows & is traditional/transitional in style...taking the muntins off makes the house look odd. Like it is naked, or the homeowner is having the interior painted or something. A modern style home looks fine without muntins. Actually, what looks best is what the original architect drew to go with the style of house.