SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eagle83_gw

Couple questions about Satsuma

eagle83
8 years ago

(If you want to skip the back story and get to the questions skip the first paragraph)

I have a Satsuma tree that's had a hard life. First of all I had it in the ground which here is mostly clay. I think the roots were staying too wet and the tree was not doing well. After lots of die back I moved it to a pot. Well I got a boxer puppy who thought it was funny to knock over the pot and uproot the tree. To fix this I installed an underground fence to keep him out of my garden area. It worked great but by this time my Satsuma tree had lost all its leaves. I figured the tree was gone, but decided to wait and see what happened. To my surprise I started to see growth in the spring. I cut the dead part of the tree off, which only left maybe a foot of the trunk of the tree. I could just ditch it and buy a new tree, but I'm kind of interested in seeing what could come off this tree that was at the brink of death.

It's been growing great this summer. Since there isn't much trunk should I do anything to encourage vertical growth? All the branches tend to get so long that they droop eventually.

Also I've always heard not to fertilize during fruiting. My kumquat has done well for 2 years, but I always get some yellow leaves late in the season because it continuously blooms until the temp starts dropping in the fall. I've been giving it a little foliage pro a couple times a week. Is

this going to cause less fruit?

First pic is my droopy satsuma. Second is some yellowing leaves on my kumquat. Thanks, and sorry for the rambling.

Comments (6)