SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sherriwilliams41

Why is my succulent dying?

Sherri W.
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'd like some advice on caring for my succulents. I try not to over-water them, as I know this is bad for them, but we had about 2 weeks of very hot weather (over 30 C everyday), followed by at least some cooler weather (high of 26 C).

I noticed about a week ago that this white succulent (I don't know the name of it, but it has a fuzzy coating on it) had one or two "arms" that were starting to shrivel up, but I didn't know if that was because of overwatering or underwatering. I watered it about 2 times during that really hot period, with about a week of no watering inbetween. Each time I ran the pot under the sink, waited for it to drain really well, then put it back in the outer pot. The soil is very sandy in this plant (it's still in the same potting material I bought it in a few months ago), so it takes awhile to drain through.

The pots are hanging on the wall in my kitchen where they get indirect sunlight for most of the day.

Now since yesterday, as you can see in the photo, one section of the plant is completely shriveled up. Does this mean it's getting too much water, or not enough? Or some other reason? Thanks for your help!

Sherri

Comments (11)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor