SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
poaky1

Nurseries on the east coast who sell R. Maximum, Rarefind is out.

poaky1
8 years ago

Hi all, Rarefind nursery has a giant expensive potted R. Maximum, I wondered if anyone knew another mail order source here on the east coast. We have them growing up in the mountains, but they are finicky, I have one from there, and it has remained super tiny for 2 years now. I am going to try to collect seed soon, but, I tried that before with no success. I actually did get one last fall from Rarefind, but it died. I may have underwatered, I did water it, it was under a pine tree so maybe the shade was drier than it shoulda been, as far as rainfall. I have many happy run of the mill asain hybrid rhodies, but, the "native big laurel" is hard to keep alive. I may dig one from the wild, that's how I got the teeny tiny one I still have. I know they prefer shade, the others I have are okay in some sun, though. Am I missing some form of fungi in my soil that the native R. Maximum needs? I could get a good shovelful of the soil where they grow up the mountains. I have seen them growing in yards at the foot of the mountain, so it isn't a elevation issue. I hope someone knows what the problem is. I am in Pa zone 6, and about 6-7 miles from Jumonsville Pa, where you can find tons of the R. Maximum growing in the wooded areas there. Poaky1

Comments (23)

Sponsored