SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wetsuiter

Delivery of Hardy Palms on the Delaware Atlantic Coast.

wetsuiter
13 years ago

I found a great deal on Hardy Palms here on the Delaware Coast.

Home Depot at Five Points between Lewes and Rehoboth Beach, Delaware has been getting regular deliveries of Windmills, Pindos and Mediterranean Fan Palms. The garden supplier is Bell Nurseries of Burtonsville, MD who buys large quantities of plants (including tropicals) for regional distribution.

I spoke to the Bell Nursery representative this evening at HD. She was very knowledgeable about Hardy Palms to a point, but didn't realize Pindos and Med Fan's aren't completely winter hardy to this area. I cautioned that those two varieties probably need winter protection here. She was familiar with the hardier Blue-Green Med Fan variety.

I made some recommendations for some additions to their local stock to include: Needle Palms, Sabal Minor and Sabal Birmingham, and the hardier Blue-Green Med Fans to supplement their regular supply of Windmill Palms.

The Small-sized pots (3 to 5 gal?) of Windmills, Pindos and Med Fans were only $19. The new deliveries of larger potted (10 gal?) Pindos and Med Fans were only $44. An earlier stock of larger, (15 gal pot) Med Fan and Pindos are $99. They didn't have any Windmills larger than the 3 to 5 gal size, but she expected to get more.

This is quite a savings over some of the other garden centers along Rt 1 that sell Hardy Palms. This is especially good for someone just starting out with Hardy Palms or who may want to experiment with Pindos and Med Fan without breaking the bank. For the price of one "Larger" Windmill at another garden center, I was able to get a 10 gal Med Fan, 10 Gal Pindo and five of the small Windmills.

The rep said she'll be getting more deliveries of the Hardies and liked my recommendations. Last year all the Hardies they supplied to HD sold out, which is encouraging.

Yesterday, I found a few small Needle Palms at the Rt 1 WalMart near Rehoboth. They were tucked in with all the tropicals and cost only $18 (another center had a price of $89 for Needles that were only marginally larger). May need to check there periodically and dig around their collection of tropicals. I was actually pleasantly surpised at my find.

Happy Planting.

Comments (33)