SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
k_rex

Will this bloom eventually?

kelli
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I passed by a flower shop that had a bunch of sorry looking orchids in a box - they had obviously passed their bloom period and had been given up on being sold at full price. The box said, "$3 each, cash only. Soon to bloom." And I picked a small one up that looked in better condition than most. It had 2 dry spikes sticking out that had their tops lopped off lord knows how long ago, and a piece of paper taped to one spike that simply read, "Purple". I took it inside and asked the owner, "Does this mean a more magenta purple or like, a burgundy purple?" And the curt asian man replied, "I don't know. You want, you pay me $3." I figured it would be a mystery. When (if) I could get it to rebloom, what kind of purple would it be? Would it have any cool patterning? Could I even save the thing? I took my rescue orchid home, soaked the bone dry mass in a bucket of water for about 15 minutes, placed it on a humidity tray with pebbles, watered it with ice cubes once a week, and misted it occasionally. Then yesterday, I noticed a node near the end of the spike looks like it's growing. Is this a new spike? Will it flower? SO EXCITED. FINALLY.

Comments (18)