SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anele_gw

Art-- budget and knowing your taste

anele_gw
8 years ago

I have two places that desperately need art.

(1) wall behind sofa

(2) space between two built-ins in the DR.

As per usual, my tastes far exceed my meager budget.

For the LR I was thinking about 2 core/grounding/anchor pieces for a simple gallery wall. Maybe around 24 x 36" each.

The DR needs something around 44". Smaller looks sad.

I dislike anything that looks like it belongs in a generic hotel or waiting room. I don't like cliche (as in, beautiful but famous, well-known works) because then I feel I won't really see the art.

I love art nouveau but don't like the typical versions of it (Mucha); chinoiserie but don't want to go overboard (my drapery fabric is a toile chinoiserie and it could get too predictable). I tried an obi but it did not feel like the right space and a kimono is too in-your-face because of the already Asian feel going on. I like block prints but they seem to be small.

in other words, I really do not know what I want except I would prefer the colors to include reds, oranges, and pinks and more blue vs. green.

I was thinking I could find some prints and get frames reasonably on eBay, but have no idea how to begin searching for what I like. I have tried searching a million times and just get nowhere.

I need super cheap that doesn't scream super cheap. Ideas?

Comments (15)