SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katyajini

About making fermented hot pepper sauces

katyajini
8 years ago

I first learned about preparing fermented hot sauces from this forum, this year, turned in that direction by sjetski. Well better late than never;)

I picked up tips from the internet. There seem to be two ways of doing it.

One, the peppers (and garlic and such) are crushed or chopped fine with salt and left to ferment, loosely covered. And the mixture is stirred fully once or twice a day until a 'fermented to taste' then vinegar is added. This is clearly an aerobic fermentation.

The second, whole or sliced peppers are completely covered in brine, made to stay put under brine covered tightly for a length of time. Then drained out of the brine and pureed with vinegar. This seems to me an anaerobic fermentation.

I have done the first type. I found many recipes for Sriracha type sauces that are made this way and it works quite well.

My question is what is the difference between the two types? As far as I know lacto-fermenting bacteria are aerobic fermenters. What is happening in the second type of fermentation? Does anyone know the significant difference in taste between the two methods of fermentation?

Thank you!

K.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH