SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ahoyhere

Help with layout! Drawings inside…

ahoyhere
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hey folks! I live in a 1740s colonial house with a 19 x 14 ft addition built in the 1960s. That addition houses both our dining and kitchen. We need to gut it.

The dining room is fine, just shoddily made. OTOH… the kitchen is terrible. I like to cook, entertain, reheat leftovers, go outside and grill and watch outdoor movies… and I am sooooo tired of being sequestered in the too-small kitchen by myself, with my piddly 108" of counterspace dominated by small appliances I use and have nowhere else to put, a too-deep fridge that I can't even fully open, cabinets too narrow to hold a dinner plate, jamming stuck drawers violently with my hip to close them, etc.

Naturally, it is a TRICKY space. Currently I'm stuck going in circles.

Please help! :)

Existing structural layout:

Here's an architect's suggested drawing of our remodel.

He suggests we:

• turn the old exterior door into a window (above counter height)
  • turn the old window into a set of lay-flat french doors (same size, without having to restructure the wall)
  • add a pantry with counter space on the wall

He put the sink on the island and the range on the wall, but I was so tired of having only 24" on either side that I freaked out and he gave me this drawing.

After the turmoil of living with this plan for a while, here's what I think:

• put the range back on the wall (to save money and visual space with a wall-mount vent hood)
  • give up the small window and put the fridge in the corner
  • put the sink in the island but off-set it so if I turn around at the stove, directly behind me is prep counter space
  • replace the french doors with a slider (at greater cost) to free up space
  • make the pantry on the bottom wall go all the way across, and use that counterspace to hold my food processor, blender and sous vide machine

That still only gives me 24" on either side of the stove… but at least the fridge won't be in the center of the back wall. Right??

And sacrificing the window will be worth it… right??

And it's not SUPER crazy to have portable appliances ("just pick up the blender jar!") on the far wall… right?

Help, I don't even know if those are good ideas or if I've simply gone insane from Pinterest fumes!

I'm totally open to radical ideas, too… any help is appreciated… thank you!!

PS: Note that I'm not super crazy about the 3 runs of cabinets (and I intend to make the "pantry" look different, like an old built in from the historic part of the house) but I have never figured out another layout that MIGHT work.

Comments (33)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County