SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
practigal

Inspecting a stainless steel sink

practigal
8 years ago

I am still trying to settle on a sink. For the most part, they do not show very well in the showrooms as sales person do not feel the need to clean them...ever...not even the spectacular and expensive native trails sinks.... When I look at any sink closely I see a lot of things that make me wonder how these things will affect their installation and longevity.

When I see stainless steel sinks for sale I see lots of rough edges, gently curved edges, distinctly bent edges, blue streaks that appear to be in the steel, scratches, and sinks that are warped or torqued and don't sit flat on the counter (although in some stores it may be the counter and not the sink that is warped)....regardless of guage or finish. Are any of these issues worked out in installation or no, if I see these I should just look for another?

Similarly, granite sinks have cracks on the edges...or in one I was looking at on the outside of the bowl, but it was not visible from the inside of the bowl-accept it or presume the weakness caused by the outside crack will work its way through to the bowl over time?

Cast iron...it is easy to see chips and gray marks and rust on the top side...should I be looking for something particular when I look from the underside? At the edge where the top coating ends?

In almost all sinks, I have seen really rough edges where the plumbing goes in, does this affect the ability to put the plumbing in?

Thank you in advance!

Comments (17)