Strange controversy about this childhood book series
11 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (17)
- 11 years ago
- 11 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
Related Discussions
A favorite book from childhood/youth
Comments (80)I love this post. I read so much as a kid, I remember throwing down a spare mattress on our basement floor (where I could find some peace and quiet from my large and loud family) and reading entire books in one sitting. My favorites: The Secret Garden The Boxcar Children A Tree Grows in Brooklyn Little House in the Prairie series Charlotte's Web (also loved Stuart Little and Trumpet of the Swan, I still all three of my originals, it was a set). Loved all the Ramona Quimby books. Choose your Own Adventure books...the where you get decide which route to take in the book, and each one leads you to a different ending. Many more, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head. I still have a bunch of books from my childhood. My Mother Goose Nursery Rhymes is another favorite....See Moretell us about a home you remember fondly from your childhood
Comments (36)Mine was my childhood home until maybe 6th grade. It was a big house (well, I'm sure it seemed bigger than it actually was at that age!), the exterior was grey with white trim, black shutters and a red door, built atop a large hill with a retaining wall on one side, so high that the neighboring garage (2 story commercial building) had a roofline level with our yard. The stairs from the sidewalk was a chore, even in today's day and age, I couldn't imagine having to deal with that daily. There were huge oak trees in the back yard, it was a very private space, and we had a pool, my siblings would jump off the tree branches into the pool, I was too small at the time. I loved playing in the leaves in the fall, our back yard would be completely covered once all the leaves dropped. We had a large bathroom, the area with the sink was sunken, and on the elevation was the commode and bathtub, the walls and decor were black and white themed with ornate wallpaper. The kitchen was big, I'd love to have a kitchen that size, and there was a winding staircase going to the second floor, and on the landing was a window...looking out the window, given that we were on a hill, was a long way down. So, I remember as a child I always had this irrational fear that I would fall down the stairs and out the window from that landing. LOL. I loved that house, so many fond memories. Today, that house is no longer there, probably a liability due to it's location high up on a hill (all neighboring houses were at a lower grade) coupled with the maintenance that came with the retaining wall, but I just adore houses with similar color themes....See MoreEarly childhood favorites
Comments (73)There were so many books from my childhood, that I can't remember all the titles. Rosefolly mentioned the Children's Hour series, which I devoured. I was so pleased the day I came across a whole set (in excellent condition) in a yard sale; I bought it immediately. I remember reading the Honey Bunch series. Our local library was very small, but they had most of the HB books as well as the Maida books. I think I went through their children's section very quickly. Fortunately, our parents loved to read too, so we had a houseful of books to read once we'd exhausted the library selection. I read the Nancy Drew and Dana sisters books too. Like Rosefolly and friedag I preferred the Judy Bolton books, primarily because she seemed more real (as they mentioned, she grew up). Rosefolly, do you remember Dad reading The Swiss Family Robinson to us before he took us to see the movie. We lived in Foxburg then. All I really remember from that is the part where the poor donkey goes into the swamp where the enormous serpent is lurking...with terrible consequences. I must have been about 5 at the time and as you can tell, it made enough of an impact on me that I remember it still! I remember when I first realized I could read, I tried to read some of my older siblings' books. I think the first one I tried was At the Earth's Core by Edgar Rice Burroughs. It really was too difficult for me, but I was excited and wanted to show everyone that I really did know how to read....See MoreForget about the books
Comments (23)Evatex I've met Stephen King several times. He used to live close to my lake house in Maine. He's very tall and easily available to others although most people respect his privacy and never bother him. He has contributed so much to our little town from, saving a movie house from the 1800s and having a huge theater built around it with various indoor activities for people,to donating his time and money to many many organizations. Here's a sweet story. My best friends daughter was being treated for cancer, she was 18 and it was eventually fatal. While she was sick she loved to read and had to have people read to her. Her Mom mentioned it to Stephen and he came to McDonald house several times a week to read to her until the day she died. That's Stephen. I've also met Truman Capote (my man) and Tennessee Williams, so enjoyed both of them....See More- 11 years ago
- 11 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 11 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
Related Stories

LIFETime Travel to Houzzers' Childhood Homes, Part 2
Catch a glimpse of kit houses, bungalows, Tudors and more just as they were way back when — and listen in on the intriguing personal stories
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESStrange but True Parallels Between Early Western and Old Japanese Style
Part 1 of our 'wabi-sabi' series: in which Shaker and Arts and Crafts designs reveal simplicity, modesty and integrity
Full Story
BOOKS11 Great Children’s Books About Home (and 2 Honorable Mentions)
Homes come in many different shapes and sizes, and these kids’ books highlight the tallest, the smallest, the oldest and the silliest
Full Story
FUN HOUZZEverything I Need to Know About Decorating I Learned from Downton Abbey
Mind your manors with these 10 decorating tips from the PBS series, returning on January 5
Full Story
TASTEMAKERSNew Series to Give a Glimpse of Life ‘Unplugged’
See what happens when city dwellers relocate to off-the-grid homes in a new show premiering July 29. Tell us: Could you pack up urban life?
Full Story
PETSSo You're Thinking About Getting a Dog
Prepare yourself for the realities of training, cost and the impact that lovable pooch might have on your house
Full Story
COLORBye-Bye, Minimalist White — The New Nordic Style Is All About Color
The Scandinavian color palette is moving away from pale, cool shades with hot new hues on walls and floors
Full Story
FUN HOUZZGuessing Game: What Might Our Living Rooms Say About Us?
Take a shot on your own or go straight to just-for-fun speculations about whose homes these could be
Full Story
LIFEThe Beautiful Thing About Dad's Chair
My father had his own spot in the house. His father had his own spot. Now I have mine
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESThe Truth About Bats: 3 Reasons to Love Them
It’s Halloween — time for spiders, black cats and bats. Here’s why we should appreciate, not fear, the nocturnal winged mammals
Full Story

bob_cville