SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
robin701

To Tile or Not to Tile - That is the Question

robin701
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hello! A newbie to posting, but an old hand at canvassing the boards, and I really appreciate all the the time and guidance given to everyone looking for help. As to my own question, I'd appreciate any input with regard to installing LVP over existing porcelain tile. I've read any number of comments and advice, but am still a bit confused as to what to do. I'm contemplating replacing about 625 sf of porcelain tile spanning the kitchen and main living areas in an open floor plan. As you may be able to tell from the picture, some of the grout lines are almost wide enough to float a barge (about an inch) and pop up quite merrily and sporadically throughout the original, terrible installation. Our contractor suggested floating luxury vinyl plank flooring directly over the tile, which I understand can be done. However, the existing floor will need to be leveled (my feet, if not my own untrained eyes tell me this) and I'm concerned that the base cabinets in the kitchen will need to be replaced. The contractor has told me that the installer will butt the planks up against the bases, but the existing floor (concrete sub-base) extends under the cabinets and appliances. Additionally, the thresholds to the interior and exterior doors can handle the additional height without transitions; however, there would be a small, but definite step-down from the living area to the patio. The husband does not want to deal with the mess from the demo of the old flooring and installation of new tile or LVP, but my thinking is that this would be the thing to do. FYI, we live in South Florida, and plan on staying in the house - aforementioned husband has already paid for it twice! Really, all I wanted to do was spruce up the interior paint, and we're now putting on a new roof, painting, updating windows..... :) Thanks in advance for any recommendations - R.

Comments (4)