SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cbronson80

Question tub tile, and the order of tile and tub replacement

Karlinab Jones
8 years ago

I finally peeled away the vinyl/plastic covers or whatever they are that go up three fourths of each bathtub wall, except where the water spout it. Above them is white tile. We expected drywall behind it, but, instead, we found white tile, that is now stained with green glue that is over 30 years old. So, it's either leave the ugly white plastic thing up, or do a major job, which means taking down the tiles. Will we have to re-drywall or put something there. The guys on the phone keep saying I'll need to put something up that costs 10 dollars a sheet? Is this a project that is major?

One more question. Before the tile guy comes, do we have to have the plumbing done first (we want a new shower head and a water spout for the bath). I have no idea in which things need to be done, but I know there's an order for this sort of stuff and I don't want to mess things up.

One person quoted me 400 over the phone for this project and then when he wrote up the estimate, it was 1200. That's just too much at this point, but we do need the tub either replaced or reglazed asap and I'm told I MUST tile beforehand in case the tile people ruin the new tub. True or false?

Comments (6)