SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
inbetweendays

Favorite bee/bird/butterfly and fruit plants?

inbetweendays
8 years ago

Hi everyone! We arrived in Denver last summer after a whirlwind move from overseas. I had a lot of pre-move questions and you guys are all super helpful, but then I went into winter hibernation and when the weather finally broke I got busy gardening and not posting :-P Anyway, DH and I are looking at our list of fall projects, and at the top of the heap is clearing out our front yard beds and installing an edible/wildlife-friendly landscape to replace the literal TONS of landscape rock that are currently sitting on the beds and borders.

I'm thinking about putting in an asparagus bed along the back of a perennial bed (that will also double as a rotation bed for some of my veggies), removing a couple of scrubby trees and replacing them with some semi-dwarf fruit trees ( we just bought a Cortland from Timberline last weekend-- yay!), and putting some berry bushes along the other side of the house (is anyone growing serviceberries? Can you give me some pros and cons?)

House is northfacing, but the beds in question are on the sides of the house away from the foundation and get a lot of sun. Could you give me some suggestions for your favorite wildlife perennials and variety of fruit trees/bushes that do particularly well out here? I'm trying really hard to turn our conifer and rock-barren landscape into something inviting and productive for us and the critters alike!

Comments (10)