SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
saabqueen7

Vintage Stove Advice Needed

Mary
8 years ago

We are going to purchase a vintage stove to replace our Maytag stove that recently went crazy. We are looking mainly at O'Keefe & Merrits, but also one Gaffers & Sattler. I've done a lot of reading and research, so I feel like we can handle any little thing that comes up. But I would like to have y'all's opinions about whether it is OK to buy one that has been sitting a year or three, or if we should only get one that has been working, at least within the last 6 months.

I am looking at one that has been stored for 3 years, but was working at the time it was taken out, so they say. I am also looking at one that has been off for a shorter time, and looks really nice, but has a pilot light that "occasionally goes out". I've been told that that should not be a big deal and I could just turn off the stove pilot lights and leave on the oven pilot light.

So, bearing all that in mind, what do you think? An antique stove restorer told me never to buy an old stove that has been turned off and stored for more than 6 months. He said they were too risky and wold have big problems. Thoughts? Ideas?

Comments (3)