SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stonejm

Vintage stove - too good to be true? (Long)

9 years ago

We're about to start major renovations (2 baths and a kitchen, plus some other minor changes and then painting most of the interior) on our 1250 sq. ft. 1925 house. Trying to stay as "vintage" as possible. I'll cut to the chase. We want a vintage stove, have leaned toward 1940s and 1950s period, learned quickly that a fully restored stove would cost anywhere from $4 - 10K and up. After a lot of looking, mostly on Craigs List and Ebay, though also some local restorers, I've found something that may be too good to be true. I have the opportunity to buy a fully restored Wedgewood gas stove from 1950 for $400! It's at a 4 hour distance from us, so not so easy to run over and look at. Pictures, of both outside and inside, are amazing. It is absolutely sparklingly gorgeous!!! The seller says they bought it in restored condition several years ago but couldn't use it because they didn't have gas lines in their house, and don't have any documentation about it, and that's why they're selling it for such a low price; also, they're moving so need to sell soon. He said it's fine for us to bring someone with us to inspect it if we'd like. He says it's been kept wrapped in plastic in a dry, protected location.

I'm somewhat of a risk-taker, so I'm writing here in hopes of hearing your opinions. I'm a bit wary in this case, though, because, again, stoves like this are sold by restorers for $9,000, and I've seen stuff on ebay that look disgusting and are being offered for much more than $400 (though some are much more appropriate to the condition of the piece). But I really want it!!! I'm thinking, how bad can it be? At that price, if it needs a new thermostat or something, this brand has parts available all over the web, and if it needed repairs, it would still be worth it. Obviously, I'd have it carefully inspected before trying to use it. And it has to be up to code in our state. I'm inclined to have it crated and shipped to us--really no time to go look at it.

One more thing--it's big, as in 40" wide, though it's 36" high and 26" deep; 2 ovens, 2 broilers, a griddle and 4 burners. We have a small kitchen (approx. 11x13 ft.), but definitely a place for it. I discussed it with our contractor, and he thinks we could make it work, though he said I should ask for documentation, which I did, and got the info I explained above.

Anyway, any thoughts about whether or not I should buy it? Thanks for reading my long post! I didn't know whether to post in Kitchens, Old House, Appliances, Small Houses, Antiques and Collectibles, or here. But here I am.

Comments (11)