SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sooqung

Lemon grass isn't growing roots and is getting yellow and smelly...

soo
8 years ago

I had a very overcrowded lemon grass plant that I decided to separate them into multiple pots. Thought it would be an easy task but turned out not, all the roots are tangled together, I don't even understand the plant structure anymore. So i ended up cutting the stalks with their bulbs left intact and place them in water to let them root, so I can plant them in soil later.

I change the water everyday or two, and place them at a semi-shade spot. But they are not rooting even after 2 weeks! moreover the cuts look yellowish now, with slight rotten smell coming out from either the plant or water.

First pic is the original bundle of plant that I haven't separate, shoots are growing, but I'm not sure how long can it survive without a proper soil ground.

Second pic here is the separated stalks, the green shoots were there before I separate them, the leaves are quite healthy looking altho no roots are growing.

Please let me know if this is normal, if not advice me on a proper way of doing this! Many thanks.

Comments (6)