SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gwong1117

dooping, dried, "green ivy heder" Is it salvageable?

Gracie
8 years ago

I bought this "green ivy heder" a month ago at home depot and it was fine for a while but now the leaves are turning downwards, a lot of the leaves browned and dried out, and it's getting VERY leggy. I removed some of the dead/dried out parts by pulling out the whole thing with the root. I'm not sure if that damaged the plant. I tried pulling the whole thing out to take a picture of the roots but it couldn't be pulled out so maybe that's a good thing? I watered it about once a week and waited until the soil was dry before spraying the op of the soil. It was previously in a low light area where it would get some light from the window indirectly but I now moved it to under my lamp.

What should I do now? Should I trash it or can I nurse it back to a normal plant?

Comments (20)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

That's English Ivy, Hedera helix. If I am understanding your description of how you water, it's probably bone dry.

EI does need to dry out in between waterings but when it's time, the soil needs to be drenched thoroughly. Every part of that root mass needs to be touched by water.

The other thing to look for is an infestation of spider mites. Those little pests love EI when it's grown inside as a houseplant; infested leaves turn crispy. They don't bother them when planted outside, where they thrive.

• Gracie
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I just watered it from the sink and while watering, i noticed some very small webs at the side of the pot but I couldn't see any spiders or anything moving anywhere, even under the leaves. I washed the leaves while I was at it too. How do you find the spider mites and will the spread to other places in the house? I'm terrified of spiders haha. Would it help if I put my humidifier next to it? I use essential oils in it however and I'm not sure if that will hurt the plant either.

Should I pull out the small parts on the side that are completely dry?

• bunnygurl
    8 years ago

The spider mites are microscopic. Very hard to see without a microscope or massive infestation. The webs and sad foliage are the indicators we look for. They hate moisture. I use Safers Insecticidal Soap on any of my plants that have mites (or mealy bugs) but I've heard and read that just giving the plants a shower - or two or three - can get rid of them. A humidifier is a wonderful idea and regular gentle showers and can help keep them at bay too.

Spider mites will not infest the house per say but they spread like wildfire (at least for me) and will infest other plants if given the chance. Keep it away from other plants until you're sure they are no more.

I don't use any sort of essential oil for anything so I'm not sure about it so I can't answer on that one. I don't really want to say on pulling out the dry bit either as I gave up on growing these quite a while ago. I'd assume it wouldn't hurt but am I to be trusted?

Gracie thanked bunnygurl
  • Gracie
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I'm starting to think taking care of this is more than it's worth. I think I might just put it outside and see if it still lives. Do you know how they even get inside the house? I've always wondered...

• bunnygurl
    8 years ago

I'm not really sure but I can only assume piggy backing on a plant that one brings home. It only takes a couple on one plant to start an infestation. Generally speaking if I read that a plant is susceptible to spider mites I avoid it like the plague...except for my Croton. I've lost every Croton I've ever had to spider mites but I love how they look so much that I'm trying again with a humidity tray, showers and TLC. Couple weeks in and so far so good.

I don't want to discourage you from keeping Ivies (or anything really) if you like them but for me personally they are quite the pain in the butt that I'm not willing to work with.

Gracie thanked bunnygurl
  • Gracie
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I'm really only keep plants for the air quality benefits they bring and partly for aesthetic but I'm not too picky about how they look so I just put my ivy outside. I feel like I have to wipe down my whole house now. Thanks for all your help!

• laticauda
    8 years ago

Just don't let it take hold in your yard, keep it well away from dirt, concrete, walls, fences, etc. It WILL take over if not kept in check and no one wants to introduce an invasive to their lands. :)

They will pull down and kill trees.

EDIT: And eat your house, brick, stucco, maybe even siding? Jury's out in that last one.

Gracie thanked laticauda
  • Gracie
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Wow these little things are so troublesome. Thanks for the heads up!

• jentsu926
    8 years ago

Don't feel bad. My ivy isn't doing so great either. And I baby the thing!

I am convinced that English Ivy does better outdoors, in dappled sun (in a pot, of course).

Gracie thanked jentsu926
  • pinjaliina
    7 years ago

Hello everybody,

I am also having the same problem with my ivy plant ("Ann ala" or H. pastuchovii is the name of the type), except I haven't found a single spider or any other kind of bug from it.

The plant lived happily inside our house but about 2 weeks ago, the leaves started to look droopy and dry. I have watered the plant so the soil is moist all the time and it doesn't get that much direct sunlight. There's some single new, green leaves here and there but the big branches look very bad now.

What should I do with this one? Should I try to get some cuttings from it and forget "the mother plant", or what would be a good option?

I red that with ivies, it is also possible that the roots get rotten. If this is the case, is there a way to save the plant by going through all the roots and cutting the bad ones away? Should I then plant it to a new mold?

Before I have never managed to keep any of the cuttings alive, so good tricks with the cuttings are more than welcome :)

Thank you for all the answers in advance!

(and sorry if the post isn't written very well, English is not my first language :) )

• GreenLarry
    7 years ago

Plant it outside. It doesnt like warm rooms. It used to be grown as a houseplant before the days of central heating when rooms would actually become cold.

• User
    7 years ago

Place your ivy in a north window behind a curtain. Ivy does well in water too. If plant outside...choose a place in shade and where you can get a mower around it.

• jentsu926
    7 years ago

Anthony--just asking--I thought ivy needed high light indoors to put on new growth? But also cooler nights? I'm only asking because mine didn't do well in a lower light situation, such as north facing windows. I've tried everything. Then again, maybe the sun hits yours at a slightly different angle. Mine aren't dying (yet), but the growth is slooooow in the West facing window, and probably the most I'm gonna get (ivy at top right photo 1 (sorry, Mr. Cat wanted to be front and center in the photo, so I indulged him). I bought 5 plants in the little 3-inch pots at Lowe's and this is all they have done after almost 2 years. :( I guess when you see how it proliferates outside, you can get discouraged indoors. I still love the stuff, though!

Misc · More Info

• User
    7 years ago

Putting ivy behind a curtain provides a mini climate that protects it from dry air. Ivy looks best when grown in bright indirect light. Ivy photo I sent was in a west window that is shaded.

• GreenLarry
    7 years ago

Anthony your ivy looks like its in a jug! And ivy does like lots of light,especially if its variegated. In the wild it grows in sun or shade.

• User
    7 years ago

Yes...it can grow in sun, but here in MS it won't look good. Pothos is a much better ivy.

• GreenLarry
    7 years ago

Pothos isnt an ivy!

• EHH824
    7 years ago

It does have the common name of Devil's Ivy, Larry. Interesting, I know!

• pinjaliina
    7 years ago

Huge thanks to everyone that answered!!

Unfortunately my ivy seems to be a lost case and I have to start looking for a new one :/ I tried to get some cuttings from it but they are also dying.

But thanks to you, now I have more information how to take care of the new one :)