SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sdarton

2 year old gardener, attempting to cultivate on the lake which is Erie

Sydney D
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Somehow I wrote like like 300+ words and they disappeared, so here goes another try to present the modified version of my gardening exploits I live in a condo on Lake Erie each spring those who want a plot of 6ft by 6ft vegetable garden may sign up. This is my second year. Last year I had minimal success with a harvest of 3-moderately sized butternuts. And as for this year I am currently waiting on my 2nd hot pepper...the soil seems to be mostly clay. And the summer did begin with unseasonably low temps plus tons-o-rain. I began seeds inside with help from seed starter soil in rolls of TP, h2o (maybe too much), and sunlight. Seedlings seemed good. So, at 6wks I began using fish fertilizer maybe a teaspoon to a gallon for like 20sprouts. It is the found via H.Depot. I "hardened" off by setting in the open windows. At like 8weeks...maybe 6, (4/28-6/01) I dug holes and placed the little guys lovingly in the ground. I didn't really (I forget the term) take out the weak plants till like 3/4 weeks in the ground. The rain caused a few casualties, and I have since noticed brown spots on my pepperthere is the spearmint from the good days.
??????
. Strawberries didn't make it they jumped ship in June, no signs of tomato or basil, was doing good with rosemary/spearmint until I pulled some out as clippings for a friend.(Which I had no idea what I was doing). Chives always seem to do great, but the onions I planted this year must have taken off with the strawberries, I have no idea....peas were looking hopeful but many have died and those that are still around are just flopped around kind of withered on the ground next to the trellis. As a final note I did not label anything, so again kinda going on nothing here. All in all I really do love gardening and am thrilled when I actually get a veggie, which no matter what size shape color it is sooooo mmmm mmmm mm good! I just need some guidance and if that is to hang up the gloves, spade, and pruning shears then I will accept that. But, other wise any advice on how to revive what I have or start fresh and prepare for next year would be so very much appreciated, also appreciated is the time you took to read this!☺️Weeds or Not??? No idea, so I pulled them.

Whatever these things are they are EVERYWHERE tangling around taking up the limited space!
Beautiful and Serene!

Comment

Sponsored