SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mindyw3

what are you growing this year? home gardeners!

Mindyw3
12 years ago

What edibles are you growing this year? Heres my list although i dont know all of the varieties off hand:

Lettuces:

Romaine simpson elite buttercrunch sylvestra little caesar speckles red cross red lollo four seasons

Scallions

Arugula

Fordhook chard

Shattered and yellow cippolini onions

Saffron shallots

kaliedescope carrots

Salsify

Bok choy

Kohlrabi

Celery

collards

Red and green cabbage

Shelling peas

Spinach

those little french round carrots

Broccoli raab

Flat leaf parsley

cilantro

C
Garlic chives

Broccoli (di cicco and green goliath)

Cauliflower

Sweet mesclun mix

sage

Davignon radishes

chinese kale

blue kale

Mache

leeks

Mint

Raspberries

strawberries (alpine elan allstar? And some everbearer)

Artichokes

For summer i have:

Tomatoes:

Green zebras sweet 100s brandywine big beef yellow pear san marzano

Peppers:

Poblano carnival mix and lipstick

ping tung eggplants

Tomatillos

Basil

Rosemary

thyme

Oregano

lavender

Honey bear squash

zucchini

cucumbers

Green and yellow beans

Fennel

Dill

Amaranth (for the foliage)

Sweet corn

pie pumpkins

Charentais

Sugar baby watermelons

Black and kenearly dry shell beans

We are making an edible flower bed also which will include:

Pansies

violia

Calendula

Chamomile

hollyhock

Hibiscus

carnations

Dianthus

Snaps

Marigolds

Nasturtiums

....im sure there are a few more i cant think of.

Oh and red mustard and beets.

We are replacing our ornamental cherry that split this winter with an apple tree also so long as we can find one that will pollinate with our unknown crab. So we will have a few apples in the fall too.

If you cant tell im pretty bored. Its supposed to rain alllll week. So please share your grow lists with me!!!

Comments (37)

• t-bird
    12 years ago

wow mindy! that's a huge list!

How large a lot are you on? How much devoted to the garden? (are you rural, suburban, or urban?)

I'm on a small but large for the city chicago lot.

Right now:
    spinach
    peas
    beets
    lettuce
    radish
    left over from last fall scallions-huge! need to plant new!
    kale
    chard
    broccoli
    rapini
    cabbage
    chinese cabbage
    daikon radish
    cauliflower

For summer:
    Eggplant
    pepper
    tomato
    okra
    celery
    summer squash
    winter squash
    cukes
    pumpkins
    melons - water and charentais, etc.

I have several varieties of each kind, and I don't know where I'll end up putting it all, lol!

I have over 40 celery seedlings going, and about 30 peppers and eggplants. Now I need to start the main bed of toms (have some xtra earlies well established - not extra early varieties, just plantings...)

On the maybe lists:
    corn
    jicama
    potatoes
    sweet potatoes

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    12 years ago

Oh boy, it's a list and a half...

Onions, garlic, shallots, leeks and hopefully some real bunching oinions
    Artichokes (except I highly doubt they will have been properly vernalized)
    Snap and english peas
    Fava beans
    Beets and chard
    Radish
    Turnips
    Carrots (maybe this will be the year I actually get some)
    Various asian greens
    Kale
    Broccoli of various types
    Cabbage
    Potatoes
    Lettuces
    Tomatoes
    Hot peppers, several types
    Sweet potatoes
    Corn
    Okra
    Pole beans, long beans, and flagolet beans
    Purple hull peas
    Melons
    Squash, zucchini
    Collards
    Napa cabbage

And I think I must be forgetting something, but I can't think what. Also rapberries, muscadine, and I just planted 2 apple trees, though they won't be bearing fruit this year. Also figs if they survived and a persimmon. And various herbs.

Here's to eating well!

• Related Discussions

What to plant & when for a year round hoop house veg garden

Q

Comments (4)
    In Santa Maria, you probably wouldn't even need a hoop house for your cool-season veggies except to use the hoops to support netting to keep the bugs away. Cool-season crops would be most greens, carrots, beets, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, chard, corn salad, endive, kale, kohlrabi, leeks, lettuce, mesclun, mustard greens, onions, parsley, peas, radicchio, radishes, spinach, turnips. None of these would want plastic-covered greenhouse conditions in maritime CA because it would make conditions too warm for them. And none of them need pollination by insects unless you're into saving seed. Just use netting. Save the corn, squash and peppers for warm weather, as they won't do well in the moist, fungus-y greenhouse in winter, and it would be too hot for them in summer unless maybe with the ends left open. Sue
    ...See More

What vegetables do you grow and what style garden do you have?

Q

Comments (15)
    I'm still in the process of digging my veggie garden, but next year I should be done part of it so that I can get started growing something. My garden is a very large raised bed, which I am dividing with paths into small, 3 1/2 ft wide beds that I won't need to stand on ever. With our heavy clay soil, anything to cut down on compaction will be good for the plants. In the center of my garden I plan to have a small circular bed with some roses growing in it. I plan to plant in blocks and rows; I like vegetable gardens to be ornamental as well as practical. This style of gardening is called a potager, and is supposed to be popular in europe. As for what I intend to grow: potatoes, different varieties lettuce, spinach, corn, zucchini, yellow summer squash, carrots, peas, beans, beets, broccoli and cauliflower from seed. I will use transplants for: tomatoes, cucumbers, winter squash, peppers, eggplant and pumpkin. I would also like to try cantaloupe and watermelon transplants, though I know they'll be iffy depending on the year. Lots of freezing, lots of canning, lots of fresh eating! Before I plant all of those, we do intend to insulate and went a corner in our basement for a root cellar as well. I'll have to wait and see what plants end up being too finicky (maybe cauliflower!) and get knocked off the list.
    ...See More

What are you growing in your garden this year?

Q

Comments (9)
    I'm doing a landscape project at my sister's house this year - it's new construction, so there is absolutely nothing in the yard except weed grasses, a few apple trees lining the road, a lone peony and tiny iris clump - left-overs/survivors from before the construction began. I'm in Sevier county, so had to bring in all of my starts that had been hardening off outside for the past week or so due to the hard freeze last week and forecast hard freeze tonight (GRRR!). What I've got going so far: Amaranthus caudatus (Love Lies Bleeding) Borage Hyacinth Bean Cypress Vine German & Roman Chamomile Cumin Wormwood Absinthe False Indigo Threadleaf coreopsis Foxglove Sky Pilot (Phacelia sericea - this grows wild on the foothills & mountains here) She's hoping for a chamomile/creeping thyme lawn, and I as a home brewer, I'm hoping to plant some hops vines as well. I've got a ton of other seeds to consider. She's not much of a gardener, so I'm thinking easy, obnoxious even, plants: Evening Primrose Breadseed Poppy Oregano Mint Sweet Pea Blue Flax Dill Larkspur California Poppy Iris And the list goes on :)
    ...See More

What do you want to grow this year?

Q

Comments (10)
    "I can’t pass up Zinnias. oh how i love zinnias! ‘Exquisite,’ ’Purple Prince,’ and ’Zahara Double Raspberry Ripple’ are favorites." Me, too! They're such happy flowers. "Purple Prince" is also one of my favorites. "Benary's Giant Purple" is an excellent substitute, the color differs only slightly, so I'll grow whichever I can get from wherever I'm ordering. I'm trying comfrey this year. My fruit growing book suggests planting comfrey under the fruit trees, so what the heck I'll give it a try. The seeds are in the fridge right now cold stratifying. I'm also trying "Big Blue" salvia. Trying this one on a board rec, it's supposed to be very similar to "Mystic Spires", which is becoming harder to find and is $$; if it's a good substitute, will be much less hassle than going the cuttings route. New sunflower cultivars because I need shorter plants, mine got something like 8-9' tall last year and I couldn't reach the flowers to cut -- until they toppled over during a storm, that is. One of my old favorites "Jua Inca" is no longer available, but "Jua Maya" is so I'll grow those along with the new ones I'm trying - "Dwarf Music Box" and "Firecracker". DH wanted jalapenos this year, I typically grow peppers but not hot peppers. He also wanted a different edamame cultivar. So those are new. On a side note, I'm revisiting my "old days" and growing impatiens from seed -- used to grow impatiens every year at my other house but not here, so that's a blast from the past for me. I can't tell you the thrill I had when I finally got the knack for getting impatiens to germinate after a couple years of failure -- I felt like hey now I'm a pro! LOL!
    ...See More
  • Mindyw3
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sunnibel: im worried my artichokes didnt proper vernalization either!
    Tbird: pretty small area. Im intensive planting though and not planting a huge amount of any one thing. Like i only have 3 celery plants, i dont eat a lot, just need it for soups here and there. But lots of lettuce, maybe 60 onions, 20 toms, etc. I posted pics in the " how many lbs of produce" thread. Ill post a pic of our side yard too as i convert it for melons an the shelling beans.

• stuffradio
    12 years ago

Artichoke
    Asparagus
    Arugula
    Leeks
    Lettuce
    Broad Beans (Fava Beans)
    Beets
    Broccoli
    Brussels Sprouts
    Cabbage
    Carrots
    Cauliflower
    Celery
    Corn
    Cucumbers
    Eggplant
    Garlic
    Kale
    Melons (Cantaloupe and Watermelon)
    Onions
    Bok Choy
    Parsley
    Parsnips
    Peas
    Peppers
    Pumpkin
    Radishes
    Rutabaga
    Spinach
    Squash
    Swiss Chard
    Tomatoes
    Turnips

A bunch of herbs

• t-bird
    12 years ago

Nice photos Mindy!

I'm thinking of redoing my entire veggie area as a potager, but also want to get a greenhouse, so not sure where I'm going with it...

• Edymnion
    12 years ago

Annuals:
    Corn, Black Aztec
    Eggplant, Pumpkin on a Stick
    Lentil, Green
    Melon, Kiwano
    Melon, Watermelon, Cream of Saskatchewan
    Pepper, Bhut Jolokia
    Pepper, NuMex Halloween
    Pepper, Sweet Red Cherry
    Pepper, Trinidad Scorpion
    Pepper, Trinidad Scorpion Butch T
    Pepper, Uba Tuba
    Pepper, 7-Pot Douglah
    Potato, Adirondack Purple
    Sugar Cane, Purple
    Tomato, Black Pineapple
    Tomato, OSU Blue
    Wasabi

Perennials:
    Dragonfruit, White
    Dragonfruit, Red
    Grape, Venus
    Tea (not sure which cultivar yet, will be getting them end of the month)
    Tree, Cherry, Bing
    Tree, Cherry, Not Bing (heh, forgot what that one was years ago)
    Tree, Fig, Brown Turkey, Eastern
    Tree, Mulberry
    Tree, Pawpaw (couple dozen mixed seeds of most cultivars)

• Donna
    12 years ago

Tomatoes: One each in ground: Big Zebra, Amish Paste, Big Beef, Matina, Brandywine, Black Krim, Mortgage Lifter, OSU Blue, Rutgers, Tropic, Aunt Ruby Green. Then in pots: Black Cherry, Sungold, Isis Candy, Juliet, Tommy Toes, Celebrity

Pickle Bush Cucumbers
    Black Futsu Winter Squash
    Musquee de provence Winter Squash
    Pennsylvania Dutch Crookneck
    The SVBs got the best of me last year, so I am planting all moschatas this year.

Beans, to be planted in successions throughout the summer season:
    1: Fortex, Louisiana Purple Pole, Roma Bush, and Contender
    2: Piggott Family Cowpea, Zipper Cream Cowpeas, Black Jungle Butterbeans, and Texas Cream cowpeas, along with Red Noodle and Rattlesnake, to be grown during July and August
    3: Late summer and fall: back to Fortex and McCaslan

Also Sugar Baby Watermelon, Minnesota Midget Cantaloupes, a bush Sweet Potato whose name escapes me now, and Silverskin garlic which will be harvested in early summer.

Come fall, it will be time for Collards, Red Russian, Vates, and Dinosaur Kales,Crimson Forest Bunching Onion, Napoli Carrots, matador Shallots, Inchelium Red Garlic, Yellow Potato Onions, and French Red Shallots.

I pulled out the last of my winter garden about three weeks ago when it got so warm, so for the first time in over a year there is nothing out there to eat! I miss it so much! Can't wait for the summer crops to begin.

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    12 years ago

Yes, I'm hoping with the artichokes to be able to maybe mulch them and have them overwinter, like my cardoons do, but they do seem more tender. And stuffradio made me remember what I forgot... Aspargus!

Cheers!

• Mindyw3
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Donna: i would love to do sweet potatoes but the only space i have for them is where the melons are going or a pretty shady spot. Next year ee are going to try to fit them in somehow though.
    i havent really planned for fall yet and i know that with my lack of space ill be choosing between ripping out summer crops that will likely still be producing and putting in fall crops in time to actially size. Only my onion and carrot spaces will be open by then.

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    12 years ago

Mindy, I have found for a short growing season (which I assume you have with a normal zone 5)with fall plantings, I need to have a plant to go in the ground when one comes out. When garlic comes out in July, I will put the brussel sprouts that were started mid-May and begin the succession plantings of things like carrot. When cukes are done in by an early frost, I will have lettuces that are ready for transplanting in that spot. I will only direct sow those things that need it.

My list includes:

Tomatoes: San Marzano, Amish Paste, Roma, Speckled Roman, Black Krim, Cherokee Purple, Mountain Princess, Stupice, Taxi, Japanese Trifele(sp?)Black, Arkansas Traveler, Honeybunch, Sungold, Italian Ice, Chocolate Cherry, Autum Fire

Radishes: Daikon, Red Meat, French Breakfast, Easter Egg Blend, Helios, White Hailstone

Roots: Carrots (Kuroda, Napoli, Nelson, and various others), turnips, parsnips, celery root, potatoes. If I can get some Jerusalem artichokes for a fair price, I will try planting those in the fall.

Greens/leaves: Various lettuces, amaranth, spinach, mache, sorrel, orach, kale (2 types), various Asian greens, cabbages, arugula, fennel (bulb and herb), strawberry spinach

Brassicas: Kohlrabi, cauliflower (cheddar and snow), broccoli (sprouting, purple peacock, Belstar and Apollo), red giant mustard

Legumes: Snow peas, shell peas, dragon tongue beans, red noodle (if I can get the seed still), green and yellow snap beans (some pole, some bush)

Herbs: Various basil, rosemary, sage, lovage, stevia (undecided), borage, parsley, dill, mint (different varieties), lemon balm, parsley root

Cucurbits: Lemon cucumber, aremnian cukes, a white cuke, marketmore, a pickler, dragon's egg cuke. Melons will be twice as nice, charentais, and Ineya melon. Summar squash will include lebanase Clarinett, yellow, and costata romanesco. Winter squashes will include sweet meat and my kids will insist on some orange pumpkin. Acorn and buttercup will likely make it into the mix. If I cound somewhere for it, I would like some spaghetti squash too.

Alliums: Garlic (Music, Italian Easy Peel, Duganski, Chesnook Red), various short day bulb onions, Egyptian onions, scallions (red and white), leeks, red shallots and hopefully this fall I can find some French gray shallots.

For perennials, we do hope to purchase blackberry, red and yellow raspberry vines. I do have strawberries in the ground. I have the spot set aside for a grape vine and we may try obtaining rhubarb and currants (black and red) but we will have to see how money goes. More fruit trees would also be great.

• emcd124
    12 years ago

Whee! I'm so excited about gardening this year...

Already started:
    Garlic
    Shallots (Red)
    Leaf Lettuce Mix
    Arugula
    Carrots
    Beets
    Chard
    Kale
    Radish (easter egg mix and french breakfast)
    Snow Pea
    Snap Pea
    6 varieties of tomatoes
    Bok Choi

Planned:
    Jalapeno
    Burnet
    Sorrel
    Mache
    Basil
    Dill
    Thyme
    Lemon cucumber
    Purple long snap beans
    Runner bean (painted lady)
    Rhubarb
    Strawberries

• Mindyw3
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Tishtosh: have you grown teice as nice before? It looks like a store bought melon my son loved and i wanted to try it but didnt buy seed this year. Please let me know how you like it!

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    12 years ago

I grew it last year for the first time. It was my first time successfully growing melons. The plants were quite vigorous and produced quite a few fruit. I found the flavor a little bland but, I think we may have over-watered and I am pretty sure DH picked them on the early side. I am giving it a go again this year to see if the blandness was due to overwatering. We got the seeds from Burpee.

• drippy
    12 years ago

Hack gardening here. So far, I have in:

3 varieties of lettuce, seeded late, so may not do much
    Swiss chard
    Garlic from last fall, doing great
    Siberian kale from last fall, still going strong (Italian kale is bolting)
    Carrots
    Onion sets
    Strawberries
    Peas, snap and snow
    Spinach
    Radishes, Cherry Belle & Watermelon
    Radicchio (sp?)
    Two pepper plants I bought to jump the season
    Artichoke seeds I just started, who knows what will happen with that?
    Multiple herbs - Parsley, sage, rosemary & thyme, of course - oregano & spearmint as well - think that's all the edibles at the moment. Oh, and I have wild garlic grass in my lawn, which we eat rather than eradicate, LOL.

Planned - not much more, as I will be away for awhile, but I started multiple varieties of tomatoes & peppers from seed, and they'll go in, along with basil. Gotta have basil!

• dickiefickle
    12 years ago

Is everyone supposed to list what they are growing ?
    Why ? I dont get it.

• harveyhorses
    12 years ago

Call it sharing.
    Tomatoes: St. Pierre, Delicious, Black Krim, Brandywine, red, Cherokee Purple (I think) German Gold, Belgian Giant, Beefsteak, REd, (these were freebies)
    Lettuce, spinach, onions (white sweet) potatoes, Sweet potatoes, snow peas, Parsnips
    Basil, Garlic, Rosemary (my 'tree' finally died so time for a new one) does mint count?
    had a BAD intermingling a few years back, I planted oregano and it got too close to the mint, lets just say the world is not ready for Oregamint.
    Not as much as I wanted, but it will do.

• scarletdaisies
    12 years ago

Going to try these:

Yellow sweet corn
    potatoes
    sweet potatoes
    sunflowers
    squashes of all kinds
    tomatoes
    peppers
    lettuce
    celery
    fennel
    radishes
    oregano
    parsley
    cilantro
    lavender
    marigolds
    swiss chard
    carrots
    cabbage
    broccoli
    strawberries
    cantaloupe
    watermelon
    peas
    beans of all kinds
    try to put in a grapevine,neighbor has some I can get rootings off of!

I'm in a much better area, moved a few miles away and so I expect some good returns if the floods stay away. It was worse last year here then in my mother's poisoned soil at her old house. Would also like to plant some peanuts, will see how much room, though.

Good luck on your gardens.

• Jon_dear
    12 years ago

This is what I'm growing

Asparagus - Started last year from seed collected at a customers house. No idea of the cultivar
    Artichokes - Imperial Star
    Beans - Indy Gold, Northeaster Pole, Stringless Green Pod, and a bean my friend Charlie saved.
    Beans - dry... Jacobs Cattle, Midnight Black
    Beans - Fava... Windsor
    Corn - Spring Treat, Honey Select, and dry- Floriani Red Flint
    Peas - Coral and Green Arrow
    Melons - Oka, Petite Gris de Rennes, Passport, Orange Honey, and Delicious 51
    Squash summer - Bennings Green Tint, Sunburst Pattypan
    Squash winter - Carnival Acorn, Sweet Mama, Sunshine, Black Futzu
    Pumpkin - Big Max, Jack be Little
    Carrots - Mokum, Nelson, Yaya and Kaleidoscope Mix
    Beets - 3 Root Grex, Chioggia, Touchtone Gold, Detroit Dark Red
    Radish - French Breakfast
    Parsnip - Harris Model
    Leeks - King Seig, Blue de Solaize
    Onions - Copra, Borrettana Cipollini, Varsity, Rossa di Milano, Alsia Craig
    Spinach - Tyee
    Lettuce - Merlot, Jericho, Red Iceberg, Buttercrunch, Black Seeded Simpson
    Swiss Chard - Perpetual Spinach, Golden Chard, Lucullus
    Pac Choi - Prize Choy
    Broccoli - Premium crop, Fiesta, Arcadia
    Brussels Sprouts - Churchill, Gustus
    Cabbage - Copenhagen Market, Samantha, Mammoth Red Rock, Deadon
    Kale - Rainbow Lacinato
    Kohlrabi - Kolibri
    Peppers - Beaver Dam, Fish, Hinkelhatz, Carmen, Revolution, Jalepeno, Apple, Anaheim
    Tomatoes - Paul Robeson, Grandma Mary's, Opalka, Amish Paste, Luci, Celebrity, Sungold, Black Cherry, Marglobe
    Rutagaba - Laurentian
    Celery - Conquistador
    Cukes - Harmonie, Parisian Pickler
    Radicchio - Early Treviso
    Potatoes - Augusta, Green Mountain, Red Pontiac, Carola

I'm sure I missed something...
    Herbs and Flowers too :)

• Jon_dear
    12 years ago

forgot my garlic

Garlic - Russian Red, Music, German Extra Hardy and a Softneck from the supermarket.

• SneakyP86
    12 years ago

In The Ground
    Asparagus - not sure of what kind
    Broccoli
    Cabbage - Bonnies Best
    Kale
    Lettuce - Butter Crunch,Romaine,Red Sails
    Onions - Savannah Sweet
    Spinach
    Swiss Chard - Neon Lights

Summer

Beans - Blue Lake 274 (bush),Blue Lake(pole),Early Contender (bush)
    Cantaloupe - Lil Sweet (1-2lb),Athena (5-6lb),Gurneys Giant (10-12lb)
    Corn - Gotta Have It
    Cucumber - Straight 8,Sweet Slice, Sassy Hybrid (Pickling)
    Garlic - German Porcelain, Chesnock Red,Silver Rose
    Herbs - Basil,Cilantro,Parsley,Thyme, maybe one or two more
    Okra - Annie Oakley
    Peppers - Sweet: Cubanelle,Gurneys GiantII,Cajun Belle,Banana,Sweet Bell Mix,Chocobelle Lipstick, Double Delight.
    Hot: Cayenne,Habanero,Jalapeno,Thai Super Chili
    Squash - Straight and Crook Neck
    Sweet Potato - O'Henry
    Tomato - Big Beef 50,Delicious 40,Grape 8,Roma 20,Black Prince 4, Yellow Boy 4,Cherokee Purple 4.
    Zucchini

I'm missing something but can't think of them just now.

• Mindyw3
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lol @ harveyhorses.
    What do fava beans taste like? One of my sons and i both have alpha thalassemia so im a little afraid to try them...

• olympia_gardener
    12 years ago

Can't wait to expand my garden.

In the ground:

Garlic,
    Shallot.
    Spinach
    Celtuce
    Kai Lang
    Bok Chai
    Lettuce (many)
    Arugula
    Escowle
    Red giant mustard
    Kale(2types)
    Collard
    Swiss chard (2 type)
    Pepper(many)
    Tomatoes(many)
    Peas
    Dandilion
    Celery
    Mache
    Tatsoi
    Jarusale Artchoke
    Chinese Artchoke

When weather warms up
    Green Beans( many)
    Soy Beans
    Summare squash
    Zuccini
    cucumbers
    Amaranth

Herbs:
    Basils (8 types)
    Dill
    Fennels
    Sage
    Lemon grass
    Burnet
    Mugwort
    Wormwood
    Catnip
    Chamomile
    Summer Saviory
    French Tarragon
    Thyme
    Oragno
    Mint

I am sure this only less than half I actually plant.

• pumpkins4u
    12 years ago

Ok, I keep telling myself that I need to figure out what else to plant but I only have 100 square foot plus a couple planters. So even if I figure out what else I need to plant I don't have space.

Currently Planted:

Tomatoes
    Stupice
    Better Bush
    Sweetie
    Sweet 100
    Black Krim
    Purple Cherokee
    Black Cherry
    Placero
    Lemon Boy
    A few volunteers which might be roma or tigerella (which I didn't like)

Ground Cherry - Giant Cape
    Green pepper - cal wonder
    Collards
    Strawberries
    Radish - variety pack
    onion
    Sweet Peas
    Cucumber - Straight eight
    Potato
    Eggplant-Rosa Bianca-Black Beauty-Lista de Gande
    Summer Squash- Lebanese Bush Marrow - Yellow Squash - Zucchini
    Winter Square - Waltham Butternut - Blue Stella - Haikkado
    Canteloupe - Heart of Gold - Hales Best
    Watermelons - Sugar Baby
    Green Beans
    Malabar Spinach
    Swiss chard
    Amaranth
    Stevia
    Jalepeno

Herbs
    basil
    lemon balm
    chocolate mint
    rosemary
    garlic chives
    Catnip
    Fennel

Will plant later this year
    Carrots
    Sweet Potato
    Wheat Grass
    Tomato's - Sungold - Amish Paste - Roma
    Maybe Corn
    Beets (but they have never worked for me)
    Rutabaga
    Lettuce
    Sunflowers
    Soybean
    Lima Bean
    Oregano
    Thyme
    Cumin
    Majoram

• rathersmallbunny
    12 years ago

Uwaah! So cool to see what everyone is planting. I have a small urban space:

Tomatoes (1 plant each) - Black Krim, Black Prince, Black Cherry, Odoriko, Bloody Butcher, Sungold, Cosmonaut Volkov, Moskovitch.

Lettuce, kale, chard, spinach, zucchini, strawberries, onions (interplanted), shiso, parsley, peas, cilantro, oregano, mint, thyme, sage.

I'm also trying to make room for roses, so lots of stuff is interplanted as edible landscaping. We have no lawn...;)

• momtopom03
    12 years ago

I haven't decided yet except I know I want to do beets and probably butternut squash again. I may do sweet potato this year instead of Yukon Golds. I'm not much of a salad eater so I skip lettuce, cukes and tomatoes. I may do some eggplant again this year.

• alpidarkomama
    12 years ago

Here's what I'm doing... It's all in the ground, except the amaranth which I'm hoping to get in this week.

BEANS
    soybeans (distoy)
    pinto beans

BEETS
    crapaudine
    early wonder
    cylindra

BROCCOLI
    rapini
    de cicco

CARROTS
    amarillo
    chantenay
    lunar white
    short and sweet
    A#1
    danvers
    nantes

CAULIFLOWER
    purple Sicily
    early snowball

CUCUMBERS
    beit alpha
    lemon
    Boston pickling
    sumter

EGGPLANT
    listada de grandia
    Turkish orange
    Japanese pickling

FLOWERS
    cosmos
    sunflowers (Titan)
    nasturtiums

FRUIT VINES
    Concord grape
    tayberry
    blackberry (Natchez)
    bababerry
    kiwi

FRUIT TREES
    mulberry
    persimmon
    pomegranate
    lemon (Meyer)
    mandarin (Satsuma)
    paw paw
    guava
    plum (Methley)
    fig (brown turkey)
    loquat
    quince
    hazelnut
    almond

GRAINS
    hulless oats
    amaranth

GREENS
    spinach
    -Bloomsdale
    -New Zealand
    lettuce
    -simpson
    -mesclun
    -red roman
    -Parris I. romaine
    -bibb
    arugula
    bok choi (canton)
    swiss chard

HERBS
    mint
    cilantro
    lemon thyme
    thyme
    parsley
    rosemary
    tarragon
    basil
    -Siam Queen
    -Emily

MELONS
    watermelon
    -malali
    -jubilee
    -Georgia rattlesnake
    Sakata sweet melon
    Indian cream cobra melon

PEPPERS
    green peppers (emerald giant)
    mixed peppers (rainbow mix)
    jalape�os

SUMMER SQUASH
    zucchini
    butterstick yellow squash
    lemon squash

TOMATOES
    Riesentraube
    German green
    Isis
    golden girl
    Chadwick cherry
    southern night
    brandywine
    amazon
    chocolate
    tomatillos

WINTER SQUASH
    banana pink jumbo
    sugar pumpkin
    Waltham butternut

OTHER GOOD STUFF
    cabbage (late flat Dutch)
    corn (Thompson prolific)
    potatoes (Yukon gold)
    onions
    shallots
    garlic
    asparagus

• anonymouspeoria
    11 years ago

Wow, everyone's list makes me feel really inadequate with my 9x9 plot. :)

• bigpinks
    11 years ago

Tomatoes, Cukes, Tomatoes, Bell Peppers, Eggplant, Tomatoes,Corn, Half Runners, Tomatoes, Squash, Green Onions, Tomatoes, Thornless Blackberries, Tomatoes

• Deborah-SC
    11 years ago

This is my 1st year veggie gardening - I've always been an ornamental gardner. I have a 4 X 12 raised bed with yellow straight neck squash, zucs, eggplant (regular & Japanese), roma tomatoes, basil, poblano pepper & red hot chili pepper. When the tomatoes ripen & come out, I'll put in sweet potatoes. I'm planning on adding 3 more beds @ 4 X 6. Having 4 beds will make crop rotation easier. My next bed is going to hold the okra that I need to get in within the month. My plan is to have a great fall garden of spinach, lettuce, brussel sprouts, and carrots.

• tomatoesandchickens
    11 years ago

I'm new here, but I'd like to join in! Last year was my first attempt at gardening, and I grew tomatoes and tried eggplants but got nothing from them. This year, I'm going all out! Well, for a teeny tiny amount of yard that is! I've got:

Sunflowers
    Sugar Baby Watermelons
    Sweet Yellow Peppers
    Cabbage
    Carrots
    Broccoli
    Dill (never planted, just sprouted on its own)
    Peanuts
    Bush Green Beans
    Strawberries
    Banana Trees
    Eggplant
    Mystery Pepper
    Tomatoes (2 varieties, don't remember which)
    Purple Basil
    Mexican Mini Watermelons (sour gherkin)

I'm planning on adding pumpkins and cantaloupe for the summer, and possibly sugar cane.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Blog, with pics of my plants so far

• stargazer943
    11 years ago

This has been the best season ever for my garden! I am growing
    Beans-Rattlesnake, Cherokee Trail of Tears, Mennonite Purple Stripe, Cherokee Wax, Kentucky Wonder, Kentucky Wonder Wax, and Long Beans. Not alot of all the varieties trying to get my seed stash resupplied on some.
    Tomatoes-Mr Stripey, Brandywines, Cherokee Purple, Juliet, Sweet 100, Roma, Parks Whopper, Better Boy
    Watermelon- Moon and Stars and Tenderweet Orange
    Squash- Grey striped zuke and Trombocinno
    Pumpkins- Musqee de Provence
    Melons-Charentais
    Bright Lights Swiss Chard
    Collard Greens
    Cucumbers-Lemon, National Pickling, Armenian, and some other pickling kind
    Onions-1015s, Red onions, and some other sweet white
    Peppers-Jalapenos, Big Bertha Bells, Sweet Cherry, Habanero
    Eggplant-Black Beauty and Japanese
    Broccoli
    Cabbage-Red and Green
    Corn-Country Gentleman
    Okra-Emerald
    Flowers-Sunflowers, Nastursiums, Morning Glories, Asters, Petunias, Moonflowers, Black-eyed susan vine
    I just can't believe how amazing everything is doing this year, it's soooo awesome!!!

• TanyaMoon
    11 years ago

Wow! Some of these lists make my little attempt at gardening seem teeny tiny!!!!
    In the ground I have:
    3 varieties of sweet corn, 2 early and one late
    Onions, "green onions" and big sweet ones
    leaf lettuce
    strawberries- that I'm fighting the birds for. (The cheesecloth cover worked for awhile, now we are planning a hinged box with chicken wire and aluminum screen.
    Okra, 2 different kinds
    2 peas, one bush and one vine
    red beans
    green beans both bush and pole,
    acorn squash
    straight neck squash
    Jelly-bean cherry tomatoes,
    Roma Tomatoes
    Goliath Tomatoes
    2 Pimento Peppers
    2 Green Bell Peppers
    2 blueberry bushes
    Lots of raspberry and blackberry on the fence line
    a couple peach trees
    and one lone plum tree
    We've already pulled the Danver's half short/long carrots (reseeded them again)

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    11 years ago

Sweet corn - Ambrosia, Incredible, Montauk, Xtra Tender 1181
    Potatoes - mostly Kennebec
    Sweetpotatoes - O'Henry, Centennial
    Tomatoes - Big Beef, Sun Gold, Juliet, Pink Girl, Brandy Boy, Mortgage Lifter
    Lima Bean - Fordhook 242
    Peas - Super Sugar Snap
    Peppers - Carmen, Cal Wonder, Archimedes, Fat and Sassy
    Lettuce
    Spinach
    Squash
    Cantaloupes - Sugar Queen, Goddess, Burpee Hyb. Crenshaw, Diplomat
    Watermelons - Raspa, Carmen, Sangria, Big Tasty, Gold Strike, Yellow Doll, Klondike, Oranglo, Cooperstown, Kleckley Sweet
    Broccoli - Emerald Crown, Imperial
    Cauliflower - Symphony

• silent88
    11 years ago

I am trying to grow:

Sweet peas (peas are just starting to come)
    Green Beans (not doing well yet...)
    Tomatoes - black krim, juliet, red brandywine ... fungus problems.
    Strawberries
    Purple/Yellow bush beans. Bunnies ate it.
    Peppers - doing okay not growing tons.
    Rosemary
    Oregno
    Zucchini - one plant is doing alright.

This is why I say everything I touch dies. :D Well hopefully it all will start growing.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    11 years ago

At the moment:

Snap peas
    Garlic
    Sweet onions
    Carrots
    Pole beans
    Kale
    Tomatoes

More when the peas are done.

• socks
    11 years ago

My garden is tiny because I'm overrun with roses. Also there is just two of us, so can't use a lot of produce.

Anyway, here is the list:

4 tomatoes (3 in large pots)
    2 yellow zucchini (picked the first ones today)
    1 American eggplant
    2 peppers (red something or other--I love them)
    1 volunteer pumpkin which I hope to train out of the garden and down the alley because there is no room for this monster....is this possible?
    garlic

parsley
    oregano
    basil
    thyme
    rosemary

I do have room for one more upright-type plant. I'll look around at the nursery.

• phasv2
    11 years ago

This is my first year trying to grow my own food:

Tomatoes(not sure what kind, my wife got it for me off of the Lowe's sale rack.
    Bush Champion Cucumbers
    Purple Hull Pinkeye Peas
    Tomatillos
    Ground Cherries
    Clemson Spineless Okra

I also planted a fig tree about a month and a half ago.

I'm really hoping this all works out!