SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pupillacharites

Stink Bug solution (requires guts)

PupillaCharites
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I think you will find it interesting once you see what kind of guts are required. Provecho!

First a few observations about Stinkbugs:

When I was in Mexico, I learned to call stinkbugs "Chinches Pedorras",
the common name in the area I was, but I'm not going to give a translation of
that nor should you look for one, because stinkbug is a little more refined of a name!

They are true beetles with a piercing proboscis which they cannot use to sting and can't bite. Insecticides are fairly useless since the bug injects saliva under the fruit skin bypassing the pesticide. The saliva causes discoloration, digesting the starches and allows it to suck the sugars of the fruit, and persists, so we eat that when harvesting affected tomatoes, yum yum ... we've all eaten them...

There are hundreds of species of stinkbugs (200 in the US alone), including common US tomato pests, the Southern Green Stinkbug (Nezara viridula) and Brown Marmorated Stinkbug (Halyomorpha halys a.k.a BMSB), or the Brown Stinkbug (Euschistus servus). My stinkbug attacking my tomatoes is an Euschistus, probably either Euschistus quadrator or maybe the common Brown Stinkbug.

Euschistus servus (Brown) may be native or at least has been in the South for over 100 years. Euschistus quadrator was documented to have crossed the Rio Grande from Mexico about 20 years ago and has found a home in many places including Florida.

Now for the "Stinkbug solution ...making lemonade from lemons" or something like that.

There are 5-10 Euschistus (relatively smaller) stink bugs in a gram.Euschistus spp. happen to be an expensive "crop" in Mexico. One species costs about $75 per pound in Mexico when it is in season if you can get it. While Euro-Americans shun insects in their diet, others, including Africans, South East Asians, and indigenous peoples of Mexico eat them, over 5 species and most are Euschistus.

In south-central Mexico they are typically eaten with jalapeños, tomatoes or husk tomatoes (a.k.a. tomatillos) on a corn tortilla, in the form of a salsa, so you would put the salsa on egg, cheese, meat, fungus, etc. in the soft tortilla), or as a condiment for quesadillas, hard tacos, etc. The salsa is made by stone grinding the blanched ingredients with the bugs, which survive a week in captivity, are dropped in and crushed alive selectively and quickly so they don't escape. This is important, as the goal is to get the bug to discharge its characteristic odor compounds from dual glands it has near its anus, but not scare it into doing that beforehand. These compounds are a defense mechanism against predators, usually when educated, predators recognize and never take seconds, something like feeding a squirrel habanero peppers :-) when he tries to eat your tomatoes.

The compounds are a mixture of aromatic (as in odor) aldehydes, esters, and some minor cyanide containing compounds the latter concentration are not toxic and in small amounts. The bugs are also rich in iodine. The net taste is very similar to cinnamaldehyde, and imparts a unique spicy cinnamon flavor, in addition to a slight numbing sensation, while its fragrance is pungent, not too different from coriander leaf (cilantro) the later which has been shown to have a genetic component in humans as to whether we like it or not. In short it is a nice complement to the hot peppers. Others enjoy eating the stinkbugs alive right out of the bag, and that's a good thing they can't bite. Toasted is also an option other do.

If you've made it this far, here's a recipe (clickable link to youtube video) to give you an idea. When asked, the cook says, this is a super-unique flavor in the world - it smells very good. If you have no Stinkbugs I'm fedexing them for just $100/lb :-) (that's a solution, right?) Here's the delicious recipe (blanche veggies and grind):

5 - medium sized jalapeños (or serranos)
3-4 Rutgers' sized tomatoes (or 5 big tomatillos)
1 - small onions
garlic (optional, also, not traditional ingredient)
handful of cilantro (raw, or very slightly blanched)
handful of live (Euschistus) stinkbugs

In the video she has the rest of the ingredients pre-ground, but it is normal to do it all together. Now, enjoy!

If you made it this far, you deserve a picture of the Queen of the Stinkbug., of the Festival of the Stinkbug ... which is claimed to have been celebrated every year since 1943. Meet the ravishing beautiful recent "Queen of the Stinkbug" (literal translation), Yazmín. Competition is in blue jeans for this queen because it takes place high in the mountains and everyone is there for the stinkbug festival on their knees at the crack of dawn, looking under the Holly Oak leaves the local Euschistus stinkbug eats and falls onto and hides under at night...which is when they are easiest to trap, usually the first Monday following All Soul's Day (Nov 2) when the season starts in the mountains near Taxco.

Stinkbug flavor, mostly from the ejected defensive liquid, is heavily influenced by the diet of the insect, Holly Oak is special ... but I think tomato-fed stinkbug salsa should be even very, muuuy rica! After all this is very near where the tomato was probably domesticated in Mexico, so it is likely an over 1000-year old tomato/husk tomato recipe.

Bon Appétit!

PC

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!