SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gwlake

Too much

gwlake
8 years ago

Kind of an odd question. While I do not enjoy being in my rental. It is so much smaller than any home we have ever owner. I have had time to think about some things. Maybe it is being exposed to this forum or just spending this summer with my husband and children.

I want to sell the house we are building. This will be our 8th home. My home is with my children and my husband. I wish we would have bought on the beach. I have always loved having my formal spaces. But thinking about it now that I have lived without them... So what??? If I could have a three bedroom home with large bedrooms, a room for the kids to hang out in. A spacious kitchen with a "dining area". I would be happy with it.

I would love to home school my children. I told my husband. Let's just sell the house. Let's live off the grid. Quit your job. Let's open our own business. Have our small home. And just live!!!! I must be having a pre-midlife crisis. Lol!!!!

Comments (97)

• User
    8 years ago

Oh yay, composting toilets and cycling on your bike treadmill to charge the batteries enough to make toast and building the accessory yurt to hold gramma when she visits. Off the grid living at it's finest is permanent camping. Without the S'mores.

gwlake thanked User
  • Lavender Lass
    8 years ago

Like I said....maybe try the Smaller home forum :)

• Related Discussions

too much i put too much pre emergent on bermuda

Q

Comments (1)
    Follow the Bermuda Bible over the winter and for the rest of your life. Google it, download it, and memorize it. Where do you live? When did the builder put the lawn in? How high/low do you mow it and how often? What is your watering schedule (frequency and duration)? What is the preemergent you used, and how much is too much? I can't think of a reason why the preem would cause it to become brown. Do not try to level a bermuda lawn in the spring. Either do it in the dead of winter or in the hottest heat of summer.
    ...See More

how much is too much? how much is too little?

Q

Comments (2)
    Thanks so much, Homebody! Although it has not ALWAYS been FUN, we have really enjoyed this house project. I hope your dream comes true very soon...and cannot wait to see pics of your home too! =) I have enjoyed hearing about this Beadboard Wallpaper. I am wondering if those of you who have used it think it will withstand the MAJOR moisture of our 2 young sons' bathroom??? Is this paintable so it can be sealed? I am worrying what the spattering and running drips of water near the pedestal sink will do to it over time if not 'sealed' with paint???? I am still curious about the 'rules' in my initial question as well as these points about beadboard wallpaper. Thanks for the input =)
    ...See More

when is too much too much

Q

Comments (17)
    Clarification: I meant that most American recipes use too little of the spices called for--really like the authors are being stingy--not that they need to call for more spices. H B, I'm glad to give you a laugh, but I've actually been there when making small, low heat sauces. :) Re combos of many flavors, I do like a lot of them, like the Italian spaghetti sauce I grew up making, Indian and Mexican food, etc. Mr. Rao talks about how his mom removed "everything unnecessary") from each sauce. That leaves a clean, fresh, simple flavor and makes it possible to distinguish one cooked down tomato sauce from the next, however, for depth and richness, my own is the best with all its components making a harmonious whole. Both answers are "right"--it just depends on what you want it to taste like in the end and they're all good. Re meat: I was taught that good meat (the opposite of the half rotten medieval stuff Linda mentioned that needs exotic spices to cover the stank) doesn't need any spices at all. Broiled or grilled naked with a little finishing salt is all. I also like meats with good sauces, because I like sauces, but it doesn't require it, and if the sauce is hiding the flavor of the meat it's too much. Chicken needs more to be entertaining, but flavorwise, it can be fine on its own as well.
    ...See More

Need help with my lawn, too much water or too much sun?

Q

Comments (18)
    Since there are horses on the bags of alfalfa pellets, I suspect the size of the pellets is about the size of your thumb. Those are also called horse cubes. What you want are the rabbit feed sized. Here is a link to feed stores near Orlando. Call around and ask for rabbit chow or alfalfa pellets the same size as rabbit chow. Another place to find corn flour, not the same as meal, but equally effective, is at a grocery store catering to Hispanic shoppers. They carry corn flour for tortillas in 25 pound bags. You do not need both. I was giving you some alternatives. Since you have a Tractor Supply nearby, a couple other choices are DuMOR 16% Layer Crumbles and whatever floating catfish food they have. There is one called Trophy and another. Those have 35% conspicuously marked on the label.
    ...See More
  • paraveina
    8 years ago

I didn't even know there was a Smaller Home forum. There goes my evening...

• gyr_falcon
    8 years ago

Let's open our own business.

Have you ever been self employed? Of course it depends upon the business, but if your aim is less stress, this may not be the route!

gwlake thanked gyr_falcon
  • gwlake
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Falcon--I was waiting for that comment!! LOL!

• gwlake
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I was thinking about this today. I want to say thank you because not a single person said, "You should be grateful for your life". "People would love to call your rental home." Or anything of the sort. I really appreciate so many people having the same concerns I have. :)

• bry911
    8 years ago

Just responding to some of the comments about the future size of homes. I really don't see them getting smaller in suburban areas anytime soon. I think it is about preserving home values more than need at the moment. For small houses to overtake large houses you really have to have some type of type of catalyst, like fuel prices going up significantly, or land prices going up a lot. I would like for it to happen but there is no sign it will. For that matter the area I am in, seems to be resisting any current influences. My house must be full brick, it must be huge and don't even think about any kind of contemporary home (my two favorite types of architecture are contemporary and colonial, so one works, the other not so much.)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    8 years ago

If you haven't seen them, take a look at Sarah Susanka's books on the not so big house...all about getting more functional space out of a house rather than more sq ft...we used a lot of the design principles she highlighted when we built and I think it led to good effect.

gwlake thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • hillokee
    8 years ago

bry911 - The fun of living in Podunk is anything goes. One mile north, on top of a hill, a large 3 story plus basement is going up. I've heard that from the 3rd floor you can see every grain elevator in the county! I'm sure it will be a beautiful home, with wonderful views and I hope they are very happy there. (When I drive by I think, NO SHADE, it's a lightening and tornado magnet up on that hill!) If I go south, I see a newly built tiny cabin that looks like it was blown here from the rocky mountains. It was build as a hunting cabin and it's perfect for that.

We all are different and hope for different things.

gwlake thanked hillokee
  • hillokee
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

lav lass - All I have now is a big flat spot that was home to an old, sad barn and silo. Not a very exciting picture! I think Mushcreek wins the charming smaller home contest!

• mrspete
    8 years ago

In the rural area where we're going to build, yes, some neighborhoods do have size requirements -- but most do not.

As for drugs, they scare me to death. When I was in high school (in a small town) only the bad kids did drugs -- we good kids shunned those who used them; non-users were the majority. Today it's almost "expected" that all the kids try pot, and it's considered acceptable for good kids to use harder drugs occasionally. In high school, the have-never-used crowd is smaller than the have-done-it-a-few-times group.

Thing is, you have to start early talking to your kids about drugs, and you have to keep up the conversations as they grow older. And no matter what you do, if you ever say to yourself, "My kid will never ____ because ____" ... well, if you ever say that, you're lying to yourself. That is, if you say to yourself, my kid won't get involved in this or that because I've talked to him about it, or because we go to church, or because we live in a good neighborhood, or because he saw what it did to his older cousin, or because he's an honors student, or whatever else -- none of these things will keep your kids away from drugs.

You have to keep talking, and you have to explain to them WHY this isn't acceptable. You have to stay vigilant. Pay attention to who their friends are. Don't be the "drop off parent", but instead take a leadership position in their activities. SO MANY parents sort of "check out" around the time their kids start high school, figuring that the kids are old enough to make their own decisions. And those same parents ignore the little signs, hoping it'll all just go away -- it doesn't.

I stopped worrying about my oldest when she was a freshman in college, and I overheard her using MY WORDS to her younger sister, urging her to stay away from drugs! And as a nursing major, she is now utterly and completely disgusted at the idea of purposefully hurting one's own body.

My youngest is out of high school now, and I'm not quite done worrying about her: I am sure she wouldn't seek out drugs herself, and her group of girlfriends are anti-drug, so no pressure from that front; however, if she ever had a boyfriend who "dabbled", I think she could be swayed. I'm still talking to her and reminding her that NO drugs are acceptable.

gwlake thanked mrspete
  • DLM2000-GW
    8 years ago

I don't want to turn this thread into a drug discussion but will only add to mrspete above - never say never and don't fool yourself that this is really within your control. It isn't. Read this, then read the 2 preceding blog posts.

There always have been, and I think always will be large homes - unless there is some worldwide catastrophic event. But as long as our catastrophes keep coming at us little by little, we'll keep building to our limits - we humans need to get hit over the head to make any real changes!!! There is a movement for smaller, smarter living and it looks as if the millennials are leading the way which is scary for people with the behemoth houses that will want to sell in the next 20 years or so - their market may be seriously compromised. Or maybe not - maybe there will be some major philosophical change in the younger generations and they'll buy them for multi family housing.

EDIT: bry911 not sure what happened but the link is no longer active for me either.

https://stopthesilencespeakthetruth.wordpress.com/2015/07/10/i-raised-an-addict-what-could-i-have-done-differently/

chisue I agree this topic has gone of the tracks however it was brought up as part of the OP's concerns in relation to lifestyle and choices with houses, location and more. You may feel otherwise but I think there can be value in the derailment - at times. Of course it's not in anyone's best interest to overtake the forum but this is one thread. I'm sorry if my link seems out of line to you - that's really the only thing I wanted to add to the topic.

gwlake thanked DLM2000-GW
  • gwlake
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I will look at those blogs later today. Thank you for sharing. My children are 6, 8 and 11. We have started talking about drugs, drinking and smoking. I've told them how people use prescription drugs. This is something very important to me. I have an alcoholic sister and my 30 year old sister who has 3 kids is addicted to pain killers. She just did her first stint in rehab. I also talk to them and say. They can always call me. No judgements. I will not say this can't happen to me or my family. It has happened to my extended family.

I don't mind discussing this. This is a thread about wants and too much and dreams. I know the majority of us want the best for our children.

• chisue
    8 years ago

It may be time to take this to the Kitchen Table forum.

• bry911
    8 years ago

For some reason I can't see the blog posts above. If you throw an edit up with the full link that would be helpful.

I am reluctant to drift the thread any more (I am trying to curb my thread driftage) but I would like to offer a slight rebuttal to Sophie's post. Drug use is really not the problem, drug addiction is. The AMA and the APA are starting to consider drug addiction a developmental disorder. For years we considered drug use a psychological disorder - filling a hole in your life - that has been abandoned for the most part. We find that among addicts there are no common indicators for addiction. Some early research had some design flaws but were incredibly compelling so we assumed it was correct, and frankly they were confirmatory, we all feel better knowing that addiction usually strikes emotionally unhealthy people. Early studies mainly considered non functioning addicts, when you add in the addicts who go to school and work most days (obviously their performance is still affected by drugs), you see the phenomenon of predisposition disappear. Studies are starting to show that most addicts start kicking their addiction at around the age of 23 (the age when the prefrontal cortex is fully developed.) Believe it or not most addicts kick their habit without any outside intervention or help. They simply mature out of it.

Now there is still reason to keep your kids away from drugs as long as you can. Kids who start taking drugs later are far less likely to become addicts. 25% of kids who start drug use at 13 will struggle with addiction, where as only 4% who use drugs at 19 will struggle with addiction.

I hate to expose myself to the kind of criticism I am about to, and it may be well deserved. The talk I had with my kids about drugs was not drugs will always ruin your life. I said very honestly, that you will see many of your friends taking some type of drug and having a lot of fun, so they may seem great and fun. But if three kids take drugs, two will have fun and be fine, one will have his life ruined by drugs (it turns out I exaggerated a little), he will become addicted and destroy his whole life, and the biggest danger is you can't know which one you will be until you try it, and then it is too late. Have fun with your friends but don't gamble on drugs, it is a stupid bet. Mine are 16 and 18 and thus far seem to be fine.

Edit: I will refrain from adding to this, as I really think these are two separate topics.

• Lavender Lass
    8 years ago

I think these two topics are related in one way, as I mentioned earlier.....peer pressure. You can call it concern about resale, too....but it's pretty much the same thing. Not doing what you really believe is best for you, but letting others convince you to do something more acceptable to the group.

People say, they'd like to have it one way, but in reality.....we have to do it this way. We are being forced to give up what we believe is a better choice, to placate a group we (for some reason) believe we need to accommodate.

In other words, we know we would be better off financially with a smaller mortgage payment, our health would be better (less stress) and we'd have more choices in our future....but we have to fit in with what the other kids (I mean adults) are doing in our neighborhood.

That's what I see as a recurring topic on GW/Houzz. Deep down, many people want something completely different from what 'society' says we need...to show we are successful. We have achieved the American dream. Our homes reflect our status in the community. But we don't like them. It's not what we really want...and when we say this isn't making me happy....we are often told our idea of what we really want is unrealistic.

So, let's ignore that peer pressure for a minute...as we all hope kids will do...and think about that life that might be out there. Don't give up on it. Don't let others talk you out of it. Find out if it's attainable. Do your research. Talk to people, who have rejected that peer pressure. And find out if that life is waiting for you. All you need to do, is decide to start living it :)

gwlake thanked Lavender Lass
  • User
    8 years ago

Long story short. ..my sister is trying to save her middle child. She had sacrificed much to stay in the top public school district in the state.

It starts with kids trading their pills around. Did you know 400 million opiate prescriptions are written yearly? 4 billion total prescriptions? That is like 10 for every man, woman, and child. It is no wonder the high schools are awash in oxy and other opiates. After that it's just a short hop to the cheaper, easier heroin.

gwlake thanked User
  • paraveina
    8 years ago

LL, I think you've hit it on the head. No one can build a house with less than three bedrooms because the nebulous "they" will never buy it when it comes time to sell. In all likelihood, "they" won't buy it because they also need to worry about the future "they". I bet if you did an experiment where you told your subjects "In this real estate market houses with one and two bedrooms surprisingly sell just as well as those with three. *show them examples of houses with a variety of bedrooms* Then ask "Which house would you be most drawn to?", that many more people would want 1 or 2 bedroom houses than is typically expected.

But when I build, I will likely go with at least 2 or 3 bedrooms, so "they" will want my house when it's time to sell.

• DLM2000-GW
    8 years ago

jn3344 my sincerest wishes for your sister and her child to find good help and resources for this process. It's not an easy journey but there are good outcomes possible. (I would have sent this to you privately but your email option is not activated through Houzz)

• mushcreek
    8 years ago

That's one of the freeing things about getting older- you feel less pressure to conform. After a life of 'normal' houses in standard subdivisions, we bought land, quit our jobs, hacked a hole in the forest, and built the house we wanted and could afford. The house is a 'luxurious' one bedroom, designed around aging in place. No subdivision, no HOA, mediocre school district, no granite, and NO MORTGAGE. Our house is designed and built by us and for us, with pretty much no thought given to re-sale.

As for the drug thing- our son and his friends went to a small private Christian school. It was like a 1950's time warp, with clean cut, well mannered children. We had to sacrifice everything (financially) to keep him in this school through high school. College was significantly cheaper! But- he and all of his friends breezed through college, and they are all successful and apparently happy. Drug use in his school was virtually unknown (you'd instantly be booted out), and all of these kids are turning out well. Is it the school, or the fact that the parents are far more involved? There was a waiting list to become a chaperone for school functions! We were 100% involved in his school, and we were always surrounded by the other parents. I give the school a lot of credit, but having the parents so involved had to help. Despite the fact that a lot of parents at private schools have money, I never saw that entitlement attitude I see in many kids. BTW- His school is in the middle of a large Florida city- not exactly the best environment for raising drug-free children.

gwlake thanked mushcreek
  • custom_builder
    8 years ago

I may be a bit biased, but I am currently selling my 5.2k sq ft 5/6 and have started a 6k sq ft 5/6. I work hard and when I come home I want it to feel like I'm on vacation. I want to see the fruits of my labor. Some people also enjoy the process and living in their creation. Curb-less showers, curtain walls, all the new trends are fun to try out. You need the space for hobby/craft rooms, offices, steam/exercise rooms, etc. Why work hard all day and come home to a meh home?

An old framer once said to me while sticking up a 12K square foot vacation home for an obviously wealthy couple: "The more you pay for something, the more you like it."

gwlake thanked custom_builder
  • DLM2000-GW
    8 years ago

Sometimes that's true, custom_builder but sometimes, the more you pay for something the more you feel obligated to like it. In the end,we all pay our money and we all make our own choices for whatever reasons. And in an ideal world, it really is for our OWN reasons, not for resale and not due to peer pressure.

"...hacked a hole in the forest..." Thanks for the giggle.

• gwlake
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Personally. I think anyone who is working and has the money to afford their home...no matter how big or rich the house is wants to feel good in their own home. My husband travels a lot. He said, I don't want to feel like I am in a hotel at home. He sometimes gets depressed. I was going to go against my own grain and paint our MB a neutral and not the bright blue as our old MB. He said please paint it the same blue, I get depressed enough. I don't want a neutral bedroom. I am not someone who does the trendy nor the status. We do our thing and honestly, I am always ahead of a trend.

• mrspete
    8 years ago

DLM, When it comes to keeping your kids off drugs, I don't really buy into the "this is totally out of your control" idea ... because I do think parents have lots of opportunities to get the point across to their kids. Rather, I say spend serious quality time with your kids from the beginning, talk to them (not at them) and explain why they should make good choices, and keep your head out of the sand.

Bry911, I disagree that drug use is kind of "okay" if it doesn't lead to abuse, but my approach in talking to my kids about drugs (and sex) wasn't too different from what you said: Yes, some people will delve into the world of drugs, and they'll be able to walk away from it -- but some of them won't. You have no idea whether you'll be the person who won't, but since our family has a history of alcoholism, your chances of being the guy who can't say no are pretty good. I never denied the idea of a temporary feel-good because the kids are smart enough to realize that people don't do this thing (that's so bad for their bodies) for no reason.

We also talked about the social and career implications of getting caught with drugs. When my oldest was a freshman there was a major incident at a school dance -- a bunch of kids, good kids, were caught with alcohol and drugs at a school dance ... and the consequences were severe: Suspensions, police involvement, one girl ended up losing a scholarship. Very sad situation for them, but I used it as a "teachable moment" for my daughter -- and I guarantee she still remembers every detail of that event.

Custom Builder, I can't agree. A house that's bigger and filled with all the latest trends isn't necessarily nicer. A small house designed just the way you wanted it isn't going to be meh. A desire to build more, more, more sounds like a desire to fill a void rather than build a house.

gwlake thanked mrspete
  • mushcreek
    8 years ago

The last place I worked used to hire people from a drug half-way house as day workers. Their success rate for staying off drugs long term? 3%. That's right; out of 100 people in the program, only three of them will get off of drugs successfully. We had one young man who eventually killed and dismembered his brother, and then took his own life. Sure, drugs are OK....

gwlake thanked mushcreek
  • mrspete
    8 years ago

MushCreek, admittedly, the people who go into the half-way house are hooked. They're the hard-core addicts, so it's no wonder that their long-term success rate is low.

I know people who played around with drugs in their youth, then walked away from them. I also know people who started out with the idea that they could "play" for a while, then quit when it suited them -- and their consequences were quite severe. For example, one of my daughter's good friends is about to lose her child, and her drug use is at the root of the problem.

Thing is -- and I told my girls this when they were teens and old enough to understand -- I don't know how to look at you and determine whether you're the person who can walk away or the person who can never have enough. So it's wise never to play with fire. Anyway, even the person who CAN walk away, can still get into legal trouble and other types of trouble through "casual use".

gwlake thanked mrspete
  • chisue
    8 years ago

Who 'walks away' after trying heroin? It's epidemic now. 'Sample' this? Oh, no.

gwlake thanked chisue
  • DLM2000-GW
    8 years ago

mrspete I don't say just throw up your hands because we have no ability to influence our kids. Of course we need to be involved, know their friends, support their healthy activities, continually have discussions, etc. What I don't like (and I'm not saying this is what you did) is when the message becomes a passive aggressive accusation that a parent has failed to do one of the prescribed preventive measures and is therefore 'at fault' for a choice their child made. I've been there done that on a lot of levels and think it's time we stop shaming the parents - they're dealing with enough grief and self flagellation - trust me. Certainly some parents do need to be more involved but I'm sure we all know people who grew up with few rules and little parental oversight yet turned out to be productive, self sufficient adults. It's not all on the parents shoulders and it's not all within their control to raise a child who either never experiments, or never gets caught experimenting or moves beyond experimenting into troubled waters. We can influence but we can't control, that's my only point.

and I still really like your house plan! just so we don't let this discussion get in the way of other important stuff ;-)

• lookintomyeyes83
    8 years ago

I think I'm an odd duck here - we are building a big house, and while I'm nervous, I can't wait.

As a couple who have a laundry list of reasons for not wanting to procreate, our big house is a final realization of 'us'. Friends tell us constantly we have too much 'stuff', but really, we feel we simply don't have enough space.

Yes, there's only two of us (no pets, hubby is anaphylactic to most), but we have tons of hobbies, and tons of crafts. The 'stuff' allows us to sit at home on Christmas day and build a model of one of Da Vinci's inventions, dabble in one of several crafts we've always dreamed of, and other such things. In comparison, most of our friends are either sitting at their computers, or hustling children to/from the newest registered team event.

For us, a big house will allow us to host a get-together with our fellow reenactors (whose homes we cant visit due to pets), let us garden and work on our other hobbies, and enjoy the quiet we so desperately crave.

I'll admit its possible our house will feel 'too big', but with 6 storage lockers of stuff im just itching to use, I really cant wait!!! I ocaissionally feel we should ditch the entire plan and go with some more mainstream and typical, but then I realize it's not us in the slightest, so why should I give up my dream to 'Keep up with the Jones'es'?!

gwlake thanked lookintomyeyes83
  • chelwa
    8 years ago

Lookintomyeyes. It sounds like you have great reasons to have a larger space than some would think is necessary for two people. I think the idea is to have well designed space of the amount and type you need rather than paying for space you don't. I think the real trick is understanding what you need. :)

gwlake thanked chelwa
  • User
    8 years ago

It's a good thing we have people like custom_builder and lookintomyeyes still out there spending. I have made a lot of money because of their tastes. So keep on dreaming you guys! I got to retire early and build my house on the coast because of you!

That said, I agree you don't need a nanawall to be happy in your home. The people around here know a few things about keeping the *meh* out of homes of any size. That is part of the reason we hang out here!

gwlake thanked User
  • musicgale
    8 years ago

Wow- took awhile to read through these posts.

Just yesterday, my husband was sitting on the sofa next to me in our rather expansive living room and said, "This doesn't feel big to me". It's ludicrous of course, since we have joked on here about discussions that promote the merits of coziness as opposed to open space, vertically and horizontally.

We like space. The house absorbs people when they are here and we have storage for everything. It functions exactly as we planned when our families converge. I think the idea of two people living in large accomodations will be politically incorrect very soon though- some talking head will decide that we don't "need" that much space and that our age doesn't justify our footprint on the earth:)

My daughter is fascinated with the tiny house movement, but she loves "stuff" and has spent a great deal of time decluttering her 1200 sqft home. My son is now in Japan where his family is installed in an apartment smaller than our living room. Each to their own...

gwlake thanked musicgale
  • valiamo
    8 years ago

Lookintomyeyes83, I can relate to what you're saying. My husband and I are building our home which happens to be the largest we've had up to now. Our eldest has left the nest two years ago and our youngest (also adult) has decided to go back to school so will be living with us for a few more years.

We decided we wanted enough space to be able to do the things we love. For me, no more trying to work on hobbies in a dark basement. I'll be taking over about two thirds of the 'bonus' room - who says it's just another TV watching room? My husband will take over one of the bedrooms for his home office.

We looked at smaller home designs but nothing appealed to us space-wise. So, small homes are great if you don't have many hobbies that require space but, like you, I want to enjoy doing the things I love and have room to do them.

I can't wait till our home is done!

• ILoveRed
    8 years ago

Interesting thread...back and forth between drug use and the advantages and disadvantages of a small home vs a large home. .

We built this house > 10 yrs ago on GW.

3500 sq ft one level. Same on lower level (basement). It is wonderfully spacious. But, it is not too much. Plenty of room when everyone is home. Lots of larger homes built on this forum during that time. I don't remember the negative attitude being so prevalent. I'll bet there are lots of lurkers building larger homes here that just won't "own up" to it ;-)

Musicgale said "each to their own". I think that's what we have to remember. The definition of a "big home" is subjective as is the definition of a "small home". We decided not to build a house last year that we eventually decided was too large for us at 7k. I never posted it here. Bits and pieces yes. But not the whole plan. And I definitely didn't mention the size.

gwlake--. We had a house fire in 2003. I didn't miss the house, but I really grieved over the neighborhood when we built in a different neighborhood. That house was simple and small compared to my present house but I would have swapped it in a minute to have my old neighborhood back. So one thing I know for sure, a house is just a bunch of wood and nails. If this is your eighth house you know that too.

It sounds like you think selling this house and living small would allow your dh to be home? You mentioned him quitting his job..less travel. The title of your thread is Too Much. I know what you mean. Trying to get my dh to retire. How much is Too Much :-)

I hope you find your answers. hugs...

gwlake thanked ILoveRed
  • gwlake
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Ilovered---thank you. My husband traveling isn't the worst. He loves his job. I am a very able woman and have always had no issue handling our home and our kids. I know you are not implying that I am a whining diva who has to have husband home. Lol. I have friends like that. They cannot function without husband. Anyway---it's more about cleaning the home. Organizing it. I want my kids to have spacious bedrooms. And a place for husband to watch tv. We will have a home office, formal living, and an exercise room. It is a 5 bedroom home. Under roof including the outdoor living. I am over 6000 sq ft. I just don't think I need the formal spaces any longer.

I don't like being the life is disposable generation. Oh we want a bigger tv. Okay let's buy one. Even though this one works fine. Or at our hold neighborhood. Mercedes and Porsches for high school. Stuff like that. Nike elite socks, underarmour for 2nd grader. I was looking at shoes for my boys. 125 dollar tennis shoes on zappos. I skipped over those of course. Just because we have done well doesn't mean, I need the flaunt it. I guess it's the conspicuous consumption. Seeing 1st grade girls with coach and Louis. The 77 Dollar jean shorts for a 7 year old.

I just want to make sure I enforce values and not stuff. Love and not more stuff.

• valiamo
    8 years ago

I guess I should clarify, our new house will be the 'largest' house we've had but it is a mere 2122 sf. :) For us, that's a big house. The one we raised our kids in was 1900sf. Definitely ample at the time! I couldn't even imagine a house that is over 3000sf unless one had a large family to accommodate.

I am enjoying reading all the comments on this site - I'm a newbie here and am learning a lot!

in the end, we all need to figure out what is 'big enough' for our own needs and wants. Best of luck in determining what is best for you gwlake.

gwlake thanked valiamo
  • gwlake
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Also...we have always had large homes. Since we are living in a rental (small under 2000). This has given me the opportunity to realize...I don't need the big home. Well thought out living for my family would have been better. I did not have the opportunity to explore these thoughts until this rental.

• valiamo
    8 years ago

Strangely enough, all our homes have been in the 1800 to, now 2100 sf. So, really, no huge homes. In the previous three, each of my sons had large bedrooms. In fact, one of those homes could fit king size beds and other furniture in each bedroom. The one we're building now, my son will be able to fit his double bed, a dresser and, hopefully, his night table too!

What I learned from this is that it's not just the square footage that is important but, more so, how those square foot are allocated. It's amazing how different each of our homes were space-wise yet, they have all been a very similar size.

gwlake thanked valiamo
  • Lavender Lass
    8 years ago

Larger homes are great! If you use the spaces and need the room, why not? There are people with large families, lots of hobbies, entertainment needs....that means more square footage.

I don't want to limit people's ability to have square footage, any more than I want someone to limit my ability to own acreage. I believe in capitalism and free choice.

That being said, my concern is people feeling pressured to build a home they don't really want. Too big? Too small? Wrong style? The list goes on.

It's the same thing with finishes. Do you really want this style of kitchen, bathroom, formal living, informal living....or are you being maneuvered into it by fears of resale, extended family, friends, forum, etc?

I love vintage. I love saving money. I love creativity and making something out of a great yard sale find. That's me. That's not for everyone. But I don't think my house is any better or worse for my choices...it's just mine :)

We don't all have to be the same. That's the wonderful thing about being an individual. We can all be different. We can all come together and contribute ideas. We should always stand up for that and never let society push us into conforming.

And for those, who want to ensure that a certain standard of living, square footage, resale, etc. is going to be observed...that's what covenants are for. I don't like them, but I also don't want to eliminate them. Again, that's a choice that should be available to those, who want it.

Enjoy your homes! Don't live anywhere that doesn't make you happy If you have the ability to do otherwise....why wouldn't you live where you like and how you like. Make it your space and look forward to coming home every day.

• lookintomyeyes83
    8 years ago

Oh JN334 - I shall take your comments with a laugh. Our house will be ~2700 sq ft, which is large around here, but with wanting actual ROOMS and not open concept, and accessible design, the house did get larger. But we love the idea of separate rooms for separate activities. 10 years in an apartment has taught me I hate (and suck at) pulling-out and putting-away things in multipurpose rooms. Our apartment is ~900 sq ft, and mentally tripling it feels like it would be 'perfect', so it matches fairly well with our home size.

Everytime I worry about our home being too large, I've gone back and stared at the furniture placement, and the list of stuff we use regularly, and how its located in the home. We could squish it, but then we'd be back to the never ending 'cram it in', 'put it away cause company's coming' lifestyle were currently in, and I'd hate it.

While we have a lot of 'stuff', most of it is for crafts, hobbies, and 'preparedness'. Were pretty thrifty, we still have our old tube tv and wont be replacing it until it dies! I keep joking Im going to enjoy being housepoor as I'll finally have the space to do all my hobbies that have been in storage for the last 5 years!

Similarly, living in a central area with mass transportation has made me realize that while its fairly convenient, I'm tired of sharing noise-walls, people breaking into my car, screaming children, and other noise. I cant wait for the quiet of living in a bedroom community!

I think Lavendar Lass, as always, said it best again. ;)

• cpartist
    8 years ago

What LL said. I could not live in the country on acres of land anymore than many of you could live downtown on a 6000 square foot lot like DH and I are building on. It's all about what works for you and your family.

What is large for me, might be tiny to you. My sister who is in her early 50's and single (but with grown children) decided to buy and redo a 6000 square foot home on 2 acres with a pool. In my dreams I'd never want to live like that. Her house alone is the size of the lot we are building on. But, it makes her happy, I think.

When we first thought of building, we said 2300-2500 was a good size. It's grown to 2800 because of how the house will lay out but it will work for us. Very little outdoor maintenance and a big studio for me to draw in and a small office for DH to work on his photography. Right now I am excited at the idea of building a home we can enjoy. I'm hoping I am able to incorporate everything that will make it work for us. Not my sister. Not some nebulous resale person, but us; DH, dog and me.

gwlake thanked cpartist
  • Lavender Lass
    8 years ago

Cpart- I think your home is going to be beautiful....but where would I put the horses? LOL As you say, it has to work for our lifestyle :)

• tcufrog
    8 years ago

The thing I find sometimes misleading on Houzz is that members will sometimes post square footage but not include the square footage of a finished basement. Where I live no one has a basement, finished or unfinished so homes here sometimes look larger when really they are the same square footage of a home with a finished basement if the basement is included.

• Texas_Gem
    8 years ago

tcufrog- we have a basement but in our area (and I believe industry standard though I could be wrong) is that below grade is not included in sq ftg.

It does make things tricky. Add to that the fact that overall useable space is not necessarily reflected in the listed size.

For example- my previous house was 1300 sq ft. It had no garage and only a stoop for the front and back. The 1300 was the true living/useable space.

We moved into this house which was listed as 2000 sq ft. BUT, also includes a 595 sq ft attached garage, a 780 sq ft basement and 1025 sq ft of deep covered porches.

Our new place was "technically" only 700 sq ft bigger but in all actuality it has 3100 sq ft more of living, functional, useable space.

We have since enclosed one covered porch and added a 12x12 kitchen as well as adding on a 1400 sq ft MIL quarters for my parents.

If we were to list our house today, the stated sq ft would be 3732, but anyone looking at it would see it is MUCH larger than that. PLUS a 2000 sq ft shop.

• Lavender Lass
    8 years ago

Personally, I think if a basement is finished living area....it should be counted as square footage. Seems odd, when it's not.

• Lavender Lass
    8 years ago

Speaking of too much....I have too much. when it comes to dishes! And I'm going to go get some wonderful CL dishes tomorrow :)

I'll show you pictures after I buy them (don't want anyone bidding more) but I'm going to have to get rid of some. My mom and I keep telling ourselves that we have to scale back. I just have a soft spot for tea/china.

• cpartist
    8 years ago

Cpart- I think your home is going to be beautiful....but where would I put the horses? LOL As you say, it has to work for our lifestyle :)

Under the pool cage? They could use the pool as their trough.

• lookintomyeyes83
    8 years ago

Heh, up here in Canada, the basement is never counted, unless you are trying to 'lie' to get a better price for your house.

• gwlake
    Original Author
    8 years ago

CPartist. Stop saying cage

• valiamo
    8 years ago

Actually, lookintomyeyes83, you're correct except for B.C. where the basement is counted in the square footage (or so I've heard). The rest of our beautiful country does not.