SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dschmetterer

Remove the gravel driveway or cover it with fabric and sow grass?

dschmetterer
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

My house has a gravel driveway running from the street to the garage in the back. Its about 130 feet long, and widens to about 15 feet in the rear. We would like to turn the backyard portion of it into lawn, about 425sqft, as we never park in the garage etc...

I've experimented with shoveling the gravel away and there is always more gravel, and in my limited experience, gravel floats in soil.

I've gotten high estimates from landscape companies with no guarantees the gravel won't float.

I'm currently experimenting with a section I've cleared as best I can, and put down some topsoil and planted grass, and it is working OK, but was an incredible amount of labor.

But lately I've been thinking that the thing to do might be to leave a lot of the gravel in place to aid with drainage, and cover it all with a layer of strong landscape fabric, and put my topsoil on that, and plant the new lawn.

The lawn, if healthy, should form a root system that keeps the gravel down - that's what I tell myself. The landscape fabric would give me the time to get the root system healthy and thick.

I feel like I've finally hit on an answer here, and depending on the cost of enough fabric to cover about 400 square feet it may be a LOT less than the landscaper option, and with better drainage.

I would love some thoughts from the community, thanks for taking the time!

Comments (7)