SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plan2remodel

Storage room vs extra living space

8 years ago

I have minimal storage space in my house (Southern California). There's no basement (built on a slab), and the attic is just large enough to hold the hot-air furnace and duct work. With stuff piled into the 2-car garage, there's barely enough space to park one car.

But ... my garage has a high ceiling - maybe 16-18 feet high. So, I'm thinking about creating a storage "loft" in the garage. I would need to add an exterior door to the storage room to make it accessible. My GC suggested that I can make this a living space, (bonus room, media room) instead of storage, and that would increase the cost - would need to add windows, insulation, heating.

I'm concerned that the drawback as a living space would be having to go outside and then back into the house for access to bathrooms, kitchen. OTOH, I wonder if it's worth the money to create a big storage room, which would just give me an excuse to hold on to stuff I don't need. Would it be less expensive to just rent storage space for stuff that I would soon forget that I actually have?

What do you think would be the most useful? Storage room or extra living space? I plan to stay in my house for the next few years - but have no specific plans beyond that.

Comments (6)