SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kitchenlady_gw

Planting Jap Maple in new layered garden (cardboard/staw at bottom)

About a month ago I prepared a new garden by layering cardboard, thick straw, leaf litter and then about 12-18" of compost on top. My initial plan was to leave the garden until spring (allowing the cardboard to start breaking down etc), but I couldn't resist this beautiful Japanese Maple that I've had my eye on. I bought a Fireglow today that is absolutely stunning and I want to make sure I get it planted just right.

I need to get an exact measurement on the rootball, but I think the hole needs to be around 24" deep so I'm going to have to dig down below that cardboard layer. I plan to dig the hole at least 2x as wide as the root ball and then will remove the straw and cardboard from that area. My question is will the straw and cardboard further out from the root ball hurt anything? I was thinking that by the time the roots make it that far out the straw/cardboard should have started decomposing. Are there any other considerations I should think about when planting this tree in a new lasagna style garden? Basically I have wonderful rich soil for 12-18" but then below that it's just regular dirt from our house construction 20 years ago. I think it's still good dirt, not really clay, but just wondering if the tree will have any trouble with this setup.

Thanks in advance!
Kim

Comments (20)