SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrblubs22

Anyway to tell if your goldfish spawned?

MrBlubs
8 years ago

So, I didn't monitor my pond as I usually do From May on to Basically the beginning of July due to Tree swallows nesting (didn't want to disturb or attract attention to the nest) I did the usual feed the fish trim the plants and etc but I wasn't watching or paying close attention as usual.

It's home to 3 Sarssa Comets and 3 feeder fish.

I added the feeders at the beginning of the year and I just added a Sarssa comet last week as they were on sale.

Originally last year I had two shubunkins, 2 Sarssa comets, and 5 feeder fish. Though during a mishap that happened while I was in Florida with the tank (filter broke) I lost all but the 2 Sarssa comets despite my best efforts.

Last year, as I was rounding up the fish to bring in for the winter (early October) I was really shocked to catch a baby goldfish in the net! He was about an inch long and he was white with a red spot and some speckles. I'm assuming he was a cross between my shubunkin and my white comet as they were (one still is) my oldest fish. I didn't know what to do with him as he could still fit inside the mouth of some of the goldfish so I just kept him in a glass for an hour or so as I tried to figure out what to do with him. I decided that I'd put him in with my other fishtank while I try to find a permanent home but I guess the shock in temperature change (even after a long accumilzation) Was to much for him or something as he died an hour or so later. I felt really bad so I frantically tried to search my pond for more in my pond but found none. I still feel really bad about the whole ordeal and it was really exciting to see that my goldfish actually successfully reproduced.

Ok, enough of a backstory! So now I'm wondering if there's any babies willing around in there somewhere. The two Sarssa are defently old enough, but I'm unsure on their sexes. The feeder fish are still rather small and the third Sarssa is still smallish too. I did notice one day the White comet chasing the other Sarssa comet one day, but I don't know if it continued or not.

The pond has rocks on the shelfs as long as pickerel weed, miniature cattails, parrots feather, and European frogbit. The only difference from last year is the absence of hornwort.

So is there anyway to tell if there's babies in there? Or do i just have to wait and see if I find one again?

Comments (4)