SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
danburi

Vent hood: overwhelmed by choices

8 years ago

I've been trying to pick out a vent hood, but I'm completely overwhelmed. I've read about zillion gardenweb threads, and I think the only thing definitive thing I've been able to figure out is that the hood should be 6" wider than my stove. Here's my situation:

• 30" deep countertops, 15" deep ikea wall cabinets
  • 30" Blue Star RNB stove (floorplan below shows 36" but I think we decided that 30" is fine.)
  • Venting path may be awkward -- it may have to go through the window because it's a landmarked NYC building, so putting a new hole in the exterior wall would require going to the landmarks commission. I think that means three duct turns, but at least the path is short. The tentative plan is to run the duct through the wall cabinets to the window.

So it seems like I have an infinity of choices and any help narrowing things down would be really helpful. I do a good amount of cooking, and most smoke is generated by searing a steak or stir-frying something maybe twice a week. I'm most concerned about ease of cleaning and getting rid of the smoke. I'm somewhat concerned about noise, and not at all concerned about what it looks like (i.e., not interested in baffles or brand names just for the look). So:

• Ease of cleaning. Baffles, mesh, or filterless designs (Zephyr Cyclone; Kobe; Pacair claims everything can just go in the dishwasher). The mesh just goes in the dishwasher? The baffles might just go in the dishwasher? But do they really catch all the grease? I'm worried that grease accumulates above the baffles/mesh on the fan or motor or other places that are very hard to clean. Taking the whole fan assembly and putting it in the dishwasher seems attractive! But is that just a sales pitch or is that actually useful?
  • Chimney or under-cabinet? Seems like for baffle designs at least, a deep hood is important; but are baffle designs preferable? And are under-cabinet hoods not deep enough? Am I constrained by the weird ducting to under-cabinet? But will an under-cabinet hood extend far enough out, since the countertop is 6" deeper than usual? Ikea wall cabinets are 15" so they're a little deeper than usual, so.. maybe?
  • How much CFM? I don't expect to have all 4 burners going at full blast; I just want enough to clear out the smoke from searing or stir-frying. And then there are the 3 duct turns to worry about.
  • inline/External/remote blowers are probably out of the question.
  • Make-up air systems are probably out of the question; it's an old 1929 apartment building, so I think it's probably leaky enough not to worry about it for the most part?
  • Are particular types (squirrel cages, impellers) noisier than others? Or does it all vary?

Basically, I feel that I have some unreasonably large search space and any help narrowing it down would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Daniel

Comments (15)