SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mystearica

Crazy Girl needs help with newly bought plumeria cuttings!!

mystearica
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Heya,

So I'm INEXPERIENCED gardener. Currently I reside in a Zone 6B. I do plan on moving to mid/south Florida sometime next year (as soon as I pass my Florida boards + get a job… but that's the plan! Having potted plumeria just makes me want it more)… yeah I'm an IDIOT I know- figured I have time before I need to transplant them into the ground

Last year I visited Kauai for my 30th birthday and fell in love with Plumeria. I bought back 4 cuttings. 2 turned to mush before I even planted them (soft and liquid-y). I planted the other two in November – used cactus mix + perlite in a 1 gallon pot. They developed leaves in January which fell off and then new leaves sprouted sometime in May. Now they are doing quite well (at least I think). I am a little crazy as I take them outside in the morning and bring them back inside at night (even though it's summer… I need to stop doing that – but I worry the afternoon dip in temperature might hurt them). I am considering about transplanting the Rainbow Plumeria into a 3 gallon pot in February because the growth it displayed is quite rapid (will provide picture later when I go home)

Anyway, one of my cutting is a large rainbow… and the other smaller one = unknown. Point is, since they started blooming I kinda am even more in love with them (no flowers yet) and stupidly ordered (with restraint too!):

Dwarf Pink Singapore Plumeria Cutting - 4 growth tips
Kimi Moragne Plumeria Cutting - 2 growth tips

Jeannie Moragne Plumeria Cutting - 3 growth tips
Slaughter Pink Plumeria Cutting - 3 growth tips
Singapore (obtusa) Plumeria – 22 inches > and multiple growth tips
Aztec Gold Plumeria - 22 inches > and multiple growth tips

Rose Red Plumeria - 1-2 Tips growth tips

Charlotte Ebert Plumeria - 3 Tips growth tips

*working on a Kevin's Red… at least hoping for one*

Yeah I spend a pretty penny on this (some more than others)… Delivery will be this week and next week… so here I'm thinking… OMG what did I do!!! I am completely unprepared for this.

So this crazy girl needs help! I have never planted multi-tip plumeria OR larger plumeria cuttings or sensitive/hard to root plumeria (Signapore). I hear multi-tip plumeria takes longer to root.

So right now I'm really worried that

1- Some of them may turn to mush

2- This is a BAD time to start planting them

3- I really have no idea what I'm doing – I feel like the plumeria I planted were beginner luck success.

So this week I plan on shopping for supplies for these cuttings (want to plant them ASAP). I plan on doing the same but this time dip the tip in Clonex prior to placing them in the pot. Also thinking of buying some stones to place on the soil to help steady the cuttings since they are relatively large compared to a 1 gallon pot (or am I wrong here?). My question is… should I do anything different for these cuttings than what I did initially for my older cuttings? How about the hard to root ones – the Singapore one? ANY suggestions/advice to increase the success of the rooting rooting/survival or these cuttings.

Later

Baz

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor