SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mamapinky0

Sears detergent anyone?

mamapinky0
8 years ago

Has anyone tried this, and whata are your thoughts? I have the green box and the orange box, but could never figure out the difference. I think the orange box has more enzymes, but not sure. II've used this off and on for about 6 months, I like it but it requires 3 scoops in my water hog which still works out to a good deal, however if I use it with stpp I can use 1 scoop and get amazing results. I've read some people have issues with it not disolving, I haven't had this happen. I have been trying to find the sears ultra with oxi, but dang it sears discontinued it, my luck. If anyone sees it online anywhere would you please let me know thank you. Anywayhubs was at sears yesterday and came home with a 275 load box of the ultra with fabric softener lol..I have towels washing in it now.white towels. Hes so against my buying detergent but he's buttering me up because he wants to buy a new van..its gonna take more than sears detergent lol. Anyway I'd like to hear your opnions on the sears detergent.

Comments (11)

• User
    8 years ago

I have never tried any Sears detergents, sorry! That aint what's important here. I agree with Larsi on the FL-load it up plus have the hubby make a place for your TL that you won't give up and however many detergents you want. You work your butt of taking care of your family on top of that. My husband made the mistake of trading off my Ford Escape when he got a newer truck. There was hell to pay for that one-you should see my beautiful Ford Taurus-2011. He won and I won! A 275-load laundry detergent don't come close!

• Related Discussions

Sears Detergent back online

Q

Comments (2)
    You, I and several others are glad it's back, although I don't order mine off the web. Janet Here is a link that might be useful: Sears Detergent
    ...See More

I Lost My Sears Ultra Plus Powdered Detergent Scoop...

Q

Comments (2)
    6,432 of the medium size granules of soap...or a tiny bit less than 4 level tablespoons to the very top. We use 3 tablespoons.
    ...See More

? for anyone who uses Sears HE Detergent

Q

Comments (9)
    There's different formulas for different purposes. No one formula will be perfect for everything, most likely. Personally I like detergents with enzymes. They really make a difference. When I used detergents without them, I would add enzymes to boost performance. The stain fighting formula has enzymes in it, or at least used to. Personally, I can't see using Oxy all the time. I would just add it when needed. I do like a perfume and dye free formula though (with enzymes). They have the detergents available in smaller sizes so you could try out different ones and see which works best for you.
    ...See More

Sears HE laundry detergent on sale through 7/5

Q

Comments (10)
    jrdown, I wash whites in hot, pastels/colors in warm and darks in warm. I really noticed the fading on Navy cotton kids p.j's and on a black 95%cotton/5%spandex t shirt. Both items had been washed numerous times with Tide, Sunlight. After washing with the Sears I realized that it was not great for darks. It works good on whites though. I am probably not washing in too hot a setting as my washer does not have an internal heater Cabrio with agitator. I am glad you have not experienced any fading. I am too nervous to try it out on any more darks as I wear many of these clothes to work. Let me know what you think.
    ...See More
  • sparky823
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I had an Aunt that had a Kenmore washer and was having problems with it(no idea what) but Sears had to work on it a few times close together. Last tech told her if she used Sears detergent she wouldn't be having the problems(must have been pump??). She was telling my Mom about it and how well it worked so my Mom bought some and liked it. This was in the 70's and then you used a 1/2 cup and it smelled like lemon to me. After you bought 12 boxes you got the 13th free. They had a detergent club and when you bought a box they punched your card so that kept up with you buying 12 boxes. Also back then it was even heavier I think because the boxes then were 40 or 50 lb I forget but if you had to carry it far it felt like a ton. They didn't have all the different versions back then. My Mom used it for years.

As I said a while back, for me when using Sears it makes the clothes feel much drier after spinning for some reason. Maybe that is why they seem stiff after drying especially outside. It really cleans well I think, but was thinking the green box version has more enzymes than the orange but may be wrong.

Pink--check on the K-mart website. They might have the oxi version. I have seen the Sears detergent on there before. In fact last time I saw the orange box there and it was $2 cheaper per box than at Sears. If you go to Sears and tell them that they will honor the Kmart price.

I wonder if they are going to have a full line of the new Kenmore detergent? Only one I have seen is unscented and only 102 loads--must be much fluffier than the other versions.

Funny how techs tell different things. I have also mentioned here about a tech telling my neighbor to use Wisk all time instead of Tide powder. Then one that we knew said use Cheer powder because it was less abrasive on pumps than Tide. That is when we started using Sears I think cause my Aunt recommended it. As years past and Maytag replaced Kenmore we went back to Oxydol, Cheer and Tide. Well, I have bored you enough!

I checked on the Sears and Kmart site but no Oxi Sears. I will say Sears has the Orange box 180 loads $23.99 and Kmart has the same 180 load box for $9.99 .Sears also has the KM unscented 102 loads $21.99. I saw no liquids or small boxes of any of it.

I meant to say above, the Sears now has such a chemical--ish smell compared to the 70 lemon-ish clean smell.

Sears Oxi-Clean detergent at Sears Outlet.com 120 load for $13.99 reg $19.99

• rpsinfoman
    8 years ago

I also have used this detergent for years in both a top loader hog, and an HE FL. It is an extremely low suds detergent . In the TL it did require a considerable amount more of product.The majority of the time I usually used it as an adjunct to other products than a stand alone. It is however an extremely effective detergent and works well on a variety of stains including grease and oil. As larsi pointed out, it does tend to leave some items harsh, and leaves no scent. I typically cut it with a some liquid ALL, ERA, WISK, etc. and generally run a softener in the final rinse depending on what I am washing. It's been my observation its more of a powerhouse detergent for specific items. I do not use it on casual or dress clothing, but it does clean the hell out of denim and jeans. It's core ingredients are Sodium Carbonate, and Silicates, some enzymes, and basically the usual surfactants. Formula has changed over the years, the original Lemon Fresh Ultra of yesteryear was loaded with phosphates and as I remember 1/4 cup was all that was needed in a TL which used 26 gal of water. It was the bomb! I can tell back in the day, shirt laundry's bought this stuff up by the pales because it was so cheap and cleaned so well. People paid good money for professionally processed shirts, with good ole Sears Ultra, some liquid sizing, a hot press, and spray starch. Of course the finished goods where amazing!

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Rpsinfoman, YOU MIX DETERGENTS... lol me too. Not all the time, but once in awhile I'll use 2 different brands in the same wash load.. matter of fact since I couldn't figure out the difference in sears orange and green box I mixed some in a 1 to 1 ratio..I figured I am getting more enzymes this way. Back around 1980 my sister encouraged me to try a bucket of sears detergent, it worked great, but back than no or low suds detergent wasn't something I ever heard of so I didn't buy it again..lol. I will pay attention to how my fabric feels using the sears, so far I haven't noticed a difference, but I usually use stpp with it and that can fix many problems with detergent.

Larsi, sears detergent would not be scented enough for you, lol its very light citrus scent is gone after the wash, the pink box has a light floral scent that's also gone after there done washing...so you think I should get a Larsi washer...you folks won't believe this but I am considering a FL'er maybe in the spring, I have a friend that Is a manager at a rent a center, she told me she would deliver one here for me to try for a week before I go out and buy one ( not from rent a center) maybe I'll do that this winter when I'm bored. BUT I won't give up my TL lol.

• rpsinfoman
    8 years ago

Yes get a FL, BUT keep that water hog. NOTHING is like them!

• rpsinfoman
    8 years ago

Yes I mix little detergent cocktails. Lol much of my experience comes from back in the day. I ran an 900 bed in house institutional hospital laundry before the days of batch tunnel washers, and some years later my own business. The value of a good chemical person is priceless. It's really a science in itself and learned a wealth of knowledge.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Sparky, thank you, sears outlet. Com does have it so when hubs gets home from work I'll order ( he has the sears card) shipping is pricey but there's a 13 dollar discount. My orange and green boxes have a very light citrusy lemon scent and the pink box a light floral scent I don't smell a chemical scent in mine, but last winter when I ordered my 1' st box of sears, the ultra with fabric softener it was horriable, it smelled very strong of plastic, I could not believe people buy this, but I did one load of sheets, my whole house reeked of this plastic scent and it took forever to get the scent out of the sheets, I returned it to my local sears and they couldn't believe the awful smell. I ended up exchanging it f or the big green box that smelled light and lemony. When hubs came in with that huge pink box I thought oh no, but this one smells light floral..there definitely was something wrong with the first box. Thank you Sparky for finding the oxi version I really want to try that one .

• sparky823
    8 years ago

Mine was orange box. It smelled nothing like citrus, like the older formula. I have (years ago also) bought the Wind Fresh in a bucket at Sam's. It did well but has an odd smell, but also less suds and stiffer clothes(outside). You notice the green box of Sears says Dual enzymes whereas the others do not say that. That's why I thought maybe there are more in it?? And remember, next time you want regular Sears detergent check online Kmart price first.

• Cavimum
    8 years ago

The Sears powder detergent continues to do well in recent Consumer Reports magazine tests, with half-red circles for cleaning ability in cold and warm water. The only two powders that beat it out are Persil/Walmart and a Tide formula. I cannot use perfumed laundry products, so we use the Sears blue box -- the clear/free formula --- and have been very happy with it.

• sparky823
    8 years ago

Sears currently has their detergent on sale if anyone is interested:

Ultra Plus Fabric Softener Version 275 loads $17.99

Ultra Plus Green Box Dual Enzyme Formula 275 loads $17.99

Ultra Plus Orange Box 180 loads $14.99

Kenmore Detergent Unscented 102 loads $14.99

Ultra Plus Orange Box 180 Loads $9.99 At K-Mart Only at this price.