SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whirlwindgirl

Drought tolerant plant choices

Nothing Left to Say
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

We are hoping to replace our weed and dirt front yard this fall. I'd like to go drought tolerant (I know supplemental water will still be necessary, especially to get things established), relatively low maintenance and informal cottage in feel.

It is a small yard and we plan to redo the walkways as well. We are also planning to remove the old irrigation system that doesn't work well and are hoping to replace it with either drip irrigation or soaker hoses. We would use wood mulch around the plants and rocks in the strip between the sidewalk and the street.

We are in the East Bay of San Francisco in zone 10a. (Editing to add, sunset zone 17) The front yard gets full sun to part shade.

I am a fairly beginning gardener, especially in this zone, and one thing I have noticed I'm not good at is getting a mix of textures. We have noticed in walking around that we definitely prefer yards with repetition of plants. I want a limited color palette and do not like orange or yellow flowers. I have tried putting together a mood board to help me visualize how the plants I'm considering go together.

The labels are fairly small so here's a list of plants:

Rosemary and lavender as a sort of informal hedge in the front,

thyme in the spaces around stepping stones,

bush anemone (Elizabeth),

ceanothus maritime (valley violet)

and a pomegranate tree.

I would appreciate any thoughts on these plant selections!

Comments (37)