SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
catherinet11

Repluging some drainage holes in stock tank gardens

catherinet
8 years ago

Since most of my garden is a bust this year 'cause of all the rain (except for the veggies in raised stock tanks), I have lots of time to think about next year's garden. I'm using Behlen food-grade poly stock tanks. I'm using the ones that are only 1' deep.........but they actually hold about 18"+ of soil. I have mostly 6' long ones. Okay........I drilled 1" holes in the bottoms and covered the holes with hardware cloth (to prevent mice from getting in or losing soil). I'm discovering that too much water leaks out too quickly. Any good ideas on how to close up some of those holes? I don't want to use anything that could leach into the soil. This might sound silly.....but how about corks? And I might be able to even put them in the bottom from underneath so I wouldn't have to empty out the soil. I can't believe how much the soil reduced this year. It's almost not enough to support the veggies in it........but not much I can do about it now. Now I know to over-fill them with soil in the spring next year.

Okay......so any ideas about easily closing some of those drain holes?

Thanks!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor