SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gcorman

Galvanized stock tanks for raised beds

gcorman
21 years ago

Hi.

I'm using galvanized stock tanks as raised beds and will never garden in the ground again. I have two kinds, round ones and oblong ones. They vary from 3 to 5 feet wide and sit 2.5 feet tall. They have thin, but strong, walls. All parts of the gardens are easily reached from one side or another. They require some muscle to get set up and need to have holes drilled in the bottom for drainage, but once in place, they are ideal containers. I filled them with a custom mixed soil from a sand and gravel co. and had a lot of organic matter and pumice added to make it very light.

I'm not disabled, but am old enough to appreciate not having to bend over and work soil that's full of tree roots or is compacted from walking. That used to kill my back. Now I hardly bend at all and can prep my gardens in a fraction of the time it used to take. I'd like to hear if anyone else is using these tanks for gardening. I'm sold on them.

I'd also like suggestions for reading about accessible gardening--especially in the southwest. I do garden consulting and would like ideas for helping people of all abilities design gardens that are easy to access and care for. I think one reason more people don't garden is that it's just too hard. Pity that.

Thanks.

Greg Corman

Comments (29)