SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
njitgrad

results from lack of foliage cutback

njitgrad
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Last year I cutback any excessive foliage on my indeterminates, especially those branches that grew downwards and those nearest the base of the plant. I had a banner year. I also experimented with my first Mortgage Lifter plant which ultimately experienced catastrophic failure due to the weight of the fruit and the lack of support I provided for the main stems (which split).

So...in the off-season I invested in 500 tomato stem hooks so that I could add these wherever I felt was necessary to assist in weight distribution and keep branches supported to my 6' high Burpee cages (actually 3' high cages doubled up).

This season I have been letting all of my plants grow wild since I had the tomato stem hooks. Well, I'm beginning to think that this was not such a good idea because AFAIK I should be seeing more fruit than I am currently seeing. I have tons of lush (inter-twined in some cases) foliage but not much fruit.

I have ZERO Mortgage Lifters growing and my Brandywine Pinks and Reds are only doing so-so. Lemon Boy and Box Car Willie also have very limited quantity of fruit.

So last night I cut back a LOT of foliage (no branches with blooms on them). Doing so revealed a lot of hidden fruit in the center of each "jungle". Some had BER so I had to pick them off and toss them, others looked healthy but still need at least a week before they even start to blush. The only ones I have harvested so far are a handful of Sun Sugar cherries and a pair of golf ball sized Matinas.

So my question is....should I have let them grow untrimmed as I did this year or prune them back like I did last year? I did notice in the trimming process last night a good amount of blossom drops.

BTW, all of my tomatoes are indeterminates and all are grown in 5-1-1 mix in GeoPots. Heavy watering is done every 3-4 days depending on the weather pattern.

Comments (22)