SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
buckeyefaninfl

Living Near Orange Groves

buckeyefaninfl
8 years ago

I am not sure which forum to post this in but since Florida has a large citrus industry, I thought the Florida forum would be best.

My wife and I live near Tampa on a postage-stamp sized lot and are looking to move to a larger area, perhaps on a lot with an acre or more of room. One house we looked at was across from an 80-acre orange grove. Before, I would have never considered living so close to big Ag land to be a draw back, but in the last couple of years my family has been thinking more about organic living, environmental contamination due to pesticides and fertilizers, so on and so fourth. I can see how pesticides sprayed from the air could easily drift on to an adjacent property or how the chemicals can leech into the drinking water especially if you are on a well system.

My purpose of this post is to ask if any of you live adjacent to agricultural lands and what health affects, if any, have you seen, heard or experienced due to the normal growing processes with the crops?

I am reading a lot about "Citrus Greening" and farmers combating it with sprayed pesticides and sprayed foliar feedings with micro-nutrients. Things like this are making me second guess many things in my life, especially when it comes to how it will affect the health of me and my kids.

Sorry for the long post, and thank you for your time!

Comments (10)

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company