SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rmbonnecarrere

Moisture barrier on a southern home

Ryan
8 years ago

Renovating a raised southern home after some damage from an improperly installed floor. The short story is that the house had hardwood that was in real bad shape. Instead of redoing them, floating vinyl floor was installed. What appears to have happened is that humidity has been seeping from under the house and condensing on the back of the vinyl floor since the house is air conditioned and kept cold. Because of this, the hardwood began to buckle and rot out some of the original subfloor. I'm going in to rip out the hardwood and since the subfloor was already pretty weak, taking that out as well. The plan is to laydown some plywood as subfloor and then insulate the bottom of the house. Has anyone done similar to this? I'm wondering where the best place to put a moisture barrier is at. Some suggestions I've heard include insulating with foil foam board on the bottom of the joists. This should create a moisture barrier as well as insulate the whole bottom of the house. But I'd like to hear from someone who's tried it. Its been tough to find info for this that isnt for a northern home.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio