SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
asko_buyer

Repair or Replace Dilemma

asko_buyer
8 years ago

My wife and I bought a lower-end Asko washer/dryer set 10.5 years ago. The washer has had two repairs done in the last 5 years. It has been making more and more squeaks and rattles lately, suggesting that another repair is coming up. The dryer became inoperable a couple of days ago, because of a broken drive belt. The Missus is unhappy with the situation.

The least-costly immediate solution is to get the dryer fixed. But the Missus doesn't want to spend another dime on a repair for this set. Also, my favourite repair company no longer lists Asko as one of the brands it does servicing for.

If we buy a new machine I am thinking of getting either a Huebsch (aka Speed Queen) TL washer and dryer or a decent low/medium-end FL washer with dryer. I do like the results I get from our FL washer, and I am not quite as fond of TL washers, although I do use them from time to time, and find they do an okay job. The missus, however, will not agree to spend thousands on an upscale washer/dryer pair, and she has never been fond of the Asko set. Does anyone have any thoughts on what not-too-expensive FL washer/dryer sets might be worth buying? Or is Speed Queen my best option?

Comments (7)