SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
javiwa

Window sill pan/plastic repair? (X-post in Home Repair)

javiwa
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

[NOTE w/ apologies: I and others appear to be having issues posting pics to GW/Houzz -- 'access denied' message), so hoping you can help w/o pics. TIA.]

We're hopefully approaching the end of a kitchen reno (water damage -- three weeks has turned into almost one year!), and I've spent the past seven months hanging out in the Kitchens forum. Never anticipated I'd have to post here (though I've lurked and picked up some terrific advice...so, thanks!). Our main kitchen window is 58" wide, and we have two 24"w x 12"h side windows tucked beneath the cabinets (like shower niche construction) -- all aluminum-framed. Pic in this thread.

The previous backsplash has been removed. We noticed bits of black plastic peaking out beneath the main window. Smaller windows: We can see the tail end of (what we now know is) the sill pan, tacked onto the bottom window stud. As far as we can tell, the sill pan/membrane runs continuously from the window bottom to the sill (i.e., no rips or cracks).

To prepare for new backsplash tile installation, we plan on attaching 1/4" cement backer board along the bottom/sill of the main window, and on all four sides of the smaller windows. Before we do, how do we address the sill membranes, if at all? For the smaller windows, while it's not ideal (i.e., the plastic should have continued up the side walls for a couple of inches), at least the bottom stud is covered (though, there are numerous holes from where the tacking nails and previous backer board screws dug in).

The main window is the larger concern, I think. Is there any way to retrofit a pan/membrane without removing the window (which we won't do)? TIA!

Comments (2)