SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jalcon_gw

Question about JM summer pruning

jalcon
8 years ago

Wondering how JM's react to summer pruning. I know some plants, like a jade plant...if you want a branch to split into two more branches, you simply prune back to a node, and 95% of the time, it will grow two branches there. Are JM's the same? Right now on one of my weeping JM's, there is a small branch, with nut much diameter to it...would barely call it a branch, maybe 1/8" dia. obviously very bendable..anyways it's put on growth like the crazy..like probably 8 inches in the last month. It's very whippy and leggy, and it is just sagging down from the weight of leaves. If I cut it, while it is actively growing, what will happen? Will it branch out then? Or what? I mean I assume after you cut it, that energy has to go somewhere, no? Here is a pic of what I'm talking about, although this is like 3 weeks old, before the branch got alot longer..., now it just drapes over because it is too heavy.

Thanks! So basically, my question is, when cutting new growth while it is actively growing, will it "Y" out? haha.

Comments (21)

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH