SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jim_1

"Putting up" stuff in the summer!

jim_1 (Zone 5B)
8 years ago

My parents did it - a lot. We had a big garden and my first 'job' was delivering corn to the neighbors in my little red wagon (they ordered on the phone). I collected the money and came home to praise. We had a fruit cellar - I don't know if those exist anymore or not. We (I learned how early) had pickles and applesauce and pie filling and more.

I just finished "putting up" bread & butter pickles on one of the hottest days of the year. I also blanched and will freeze 12 ear of corn for this winter. I already have made some dilly beans and refrigerator dills. I still have several weeks before the tomatoes are ready. I grow only San Marzano tomatoes and make sauce. Later, the Anaheim Peppers will be ready, along with the okra (the missus doesn't like okra so I have to be sneaky about using it!). 2 gallon of Blue Lake green beans so far and just planted my third crop. For some reason, peas don't get frozen, we eat them immediately.

I have Reliance peaches that are ready. I could eat about 12 a day and still not be able to keep up. Hello neighbors, you need to help me here! Both apple trees have fire blight, so nothing from them this year.

Does anyone else 'put up' stuff from their garden or farmer's market?

Comments (25)