SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rinahen

Need advice on PGT windows and the use of LowE coating

Rina Henderson
8 years ago

We have decided to replace the original windows of our 1950s ranch home. Would love to keep them, but they are totally inoperable and look terrible from years of paint, wear and tear, etc… Our goals with this retrofit is selecting windows that are aesthetically beautiful and appropriate for our traditional home and of course installing windows that are energy efficient and meet code for Florida. We have settled on PGT Winguard aluminum (white) impact windows (like the CGI Sentinels too). Our main window in the front is a large picture window (50 w by 60 L) flanked by two casements. We plan on replicating that design with the new windows. Other windows are a mix of casements and single hung (backyard). Here is my dilemma. I am totally unsure about the glass to use. My contractor is pushing the clear glass with SolarBan 70 xl low e coating. I love that it is extremely energy efficient and great in keeping solar heat out of our home …. I don't like that it looks so green however. Other options are Solarban 60 (little less green from the looks of the samples), gray or bronze tint, or just plain clear (no coating). Our house faces North and two bedrooms face east, back of the house of course is South. Our garage is on the west side. We also have great shading with trees etc… not any problem with intense heat in this house, although we live in Southwest Florida. How do I decide what to use. Aesthetics are really important to me and Im worried that the solar ban will look way too green for our home. But yet Iike the idea of the energy savings by using it. The gray tint isn't too bad, but am worried it will look too dark. I'm stuck and I need to decide here soon. Please send me thoughts, suggestions, insight, or knowledge about any of these concerns. Has anyone had any experience with any of these windows? After the windows go in, we will have the house painted, most likely a grey/taupe color. Would love to hear your opinions on how to make this decision. Don't want to order and have them installed and hate what we chose :-/

Comments (3)