SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chickencoupe1

Gardening Hygiene

chickencoupe
8 years ago

Welp. I must be advancing in experience, because I have had a nasty pile of tomatoes. Much of it is weather. Of course. It is readily obvious I have tomato spotted wilt virus. Now, before we think Oh No, understand these came from the old garden. I suspect I might have carried it to the black cherries in the new garden bed. It makes sense as I would naturally pick from the old, walk over to the new and pick those black cherries. That plant is now history. No hesitation. It's outta there.

What do you do for routine hygiene? I have just one bed, for now and I'm stretching my mind to keep it disease-free.

A bucket of diluted bleach water for my hands and tools?
Is Alcohol sufficient for cleaning the clippers and pruning sheers between plants?

But, seriously, when the sweat blurs my vision and my feet are screaming at me it is easy to forgo that shovel or blade wash before the next plant. How do you keep up?

The only thing I know is to clean the tools and also, that compost is the natural antibiotics for soil diseases. Is there something I can plant following tomatoes to help?

SIGH
bon
_____
Here's the questions by themselves:
What do you do for routine (gardening) hygiene?
Is alcohol sufficient for cleaning the clippers and pruning sheers between plants?
How do you keep up (with hygiene)?

Comments (28)