SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hairmetal4ever

Lush, but arid Western US cities

hairmetal4ever
8 years ago

May I ask a really, really stupid question?

I’m an Ohioan by birth, and since ’07, have lived in Maryland. So, I’ve always lived in a climate where rainfall more or less occurs in sufficient quantities, more or less. Sure, we have droughts, but our average of ~40” of rainfall is there in both Ohio, where I grew up, and MD where I am now.

I have only been 2 places out West: Las Vegas, and Phoenix. Those are both desert climates, and any lush landscape is clearly irrigated. The other places I’ve traveled have all been moderate to high rainfall areas. I admit I’m not well-traveled!

What I wonder about, and have never asked or learned, is what about places like Denver and Boise? In pictures I’ve seen, both cities have very green, lush landscapes, with average annual precip of 15” and 11”, respectively. With that arid of a climate, I’d expect different. Many of the trees in these landscapes are trees I’m familiar with here in the East, oaks, maples, etc.

Do average people water their yards in these cities? Are street trees irrigated? I realize in PHX and Vegas they would be, but what about these types of areas?

I have to assume they are, because if WE got 11” of rainfall in a year for a few years in a row, or the <3” Boise gets in the average June/Jul/Aug timeframe, pretty much every tree and lawn around here would be as dead as a doornail.

Comments (14)