SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
badfish8696

Planning An Avocado Grove, Any Advice/Suggestions/Feedback?

badfish8696
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hello, I am in the planning stages of a mini avocado grove I want to put in later this summer / fall.

Here are the details and what I am considering so far:

I am in Southern California near Fallbrook.

The area is roughly 60' x 70' on a gentle slope, very well draining, actually had this area tested for a perk and it is basically decomposed granite.

I have a mini citrus grove right next to this area with 15 varieties on semi dwarf rootstock that are just starting to really produce. The smallish size / variety of trees is about perfect for my needs and I want something similar in an avocado grove, though I know the trees will be bigger.

So, I want to do 12 trees, I know avocados tend to get big but I plan to keep them somewhat compact. I am thinking 20 foot rows and spacing varying between 17 feet and 13 feet depending on the variety. Three rows of four trees.

These are the varieties planned at this moment:

2 x Hass

2 x Lamb Hass

2 x Sir Prize

1 x Fuerte

1 x Pinkerton

1 x Reed

1 x Sharwil

1 x Jan Boyce

1 x Nimlioh (Also considering Nabal or Queen)

I want to buy 15 gallon trees, have already been checking around and plan to source most from Maddock. I know the last three will be a bit trickier but hopefully Atkins or Bonita can help me with those.

This is the layout I have planned, hope it displays ok:

10 Feet Around All Sides

Fuer-----20'-----Pink-----20'-----Reed

17'------------------15'-----------------13'

Niml-----20'-----JanB-----20'-----Shar

Hass-----20'-----Lamb----20'-----SirP

Hass-----20'-----Lamb----20'-----SirP

Shape of the area is a little tapered so that is why some trees are closer on the right, I tried to place the more upright or compact varieties on the shorter rows.

So how does this all sound?

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!