SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
invisigoth

Thinning Velvet Queen Sunflower Seedlings

Naveed Iqbal
8 years ago

My seedlings: https://www.plantvillage.com/gardens/193?locale=en

I planted 5 velvet queen seeds into my usual sunflower pot with new soil. This is the photo below from today, fourth day after germination. I planted 5 seeds in an equally spaced circle but I want to get heads up on when and which ones to thin. I will definitely be clipping two of these at the base, and keeping the other two. The pair at the back is at a distance well apart and I am thinking I will keep those instead of the pair in the front. I read online that I should wait until the first true leaves grow then inspecting the health and quality I should keep the strongest ones. The germinating difference between the two pairs is just one day. Probablem is, all of these look pretty healthy to me and being a beginner I have difficulty telling which ones will thrive best.

Could anybody look at the photo below and guide me on how to tell which ones to keep? I myself have my money on the pair that is on the top in the photo.

I will keep updating the post with recent photos as the first true leaves grow bigger.

P.S. I know I will get responses this is still too close a distance and I should be planting out in the field but I grew two beautiful black oil sunflowers last year in a pot and they grew about 5 feet tall.

Comments (3)