SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ialm9

Wheelchair Accessible Bathroom Layout

ialm9
8 years ago

Hello,

We're planning a new house build and I'm trying to come up with some bathroom layouts that are wheelchair accessible. No one is currently in a wheelchair, but it could be a possibility that someone is someday and it seems like it would make sense to use a little extra space to make sure this is possible.

I have been reading the ADA recommendations and have created a couple of layouts and I'm wondering if you could share some insight as I'm sure some of you know more about this than I do. I haven't really found a good source of accessible residential bathroom design guidelines, so if anyone knows of one, please post it!

Here is the Master Bath layout:

Each square is one square foot. The circle represents a 5 foot diameter turning radius which is what the ADA recommends. I did not include grab bars on the diagram but in reality they would be installed around the toilet.

As far as I can tell the bathroom itself meets the requirements for wheelchair accessibility. If this were a real situation one may want to replace the vanity with a sink that would allow for your feet to go underneath it.

The shower is intended to a "walk-in" that a wheelchair could go in to (or a shower chair as it seems like that is normally what people would do?). I'm having trouble finding as much information on walk-in shower accessibility. Does anyone see a problem with how I did that? I have the doorway currently 36" wide in the shower but I'm thinking that that is probably wider than it needs to be. Could I reduce that to 32"?

The shower is larger than I would normally want if I weren't planning for wheelchair accessibility, but I'm not really sure how to get it any smaller while still planning for this possibility. Any insights are appreciated.

Here is the guest bath:

The tub is not designed to be accessible here, only the toilet. Again the circle is a 5 foot diameter turning radius. According to Plan 2B on this document it looks like the 5 foot diameter turning radius can overlap with the door swing as long as you can draw a 30"x48" rectangle outside the turning radius, which can be easily done in this diagram.

If anyone has any insight to share I'd be happy to hear it! Thanks.

Comments (7)